When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seamaster dial: is it refurbishable?

ryaku

i'm just a little afraid to try to clean it because it's a black matte dial.

It's very true under a sapphire these imperfections won't be much evident unless i want to get the crystal ar coated which was my first option (single side though).

highoeyazmuhudee, do you think i can try very gently to rub it with a cloth we use to clean glasses?

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

I would use a piece of rodico and carefully go over the entire dial. Use a loupe and gently dab the rodico against the dial. I wouldn't try to rub a matte dial with anything, it may just scuff more. For a gloss dial a bit of auto detailer and a soft cloth can be used, still risky, however.

Dials are supposedly VERY hard to refurbish. I'm all for DIY, but thats one thing i would DEFINITELY send out to have done for me.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Watch_Collecting/Selecting_a_watch

"1. Dial condition--It is very difficult to improve the appearance of most watch dials. They are designed to be protected, and anything strong enough to remove dirt is also likely to remove markings or coatings. Sometimes spot cleaning with a toothpick can reduce some marks, but it is just as likely to make things worse. Watch dials can be "redialed"--This is basically repainted. Quality can range from very good (although rarely as good as the original) to very obviously re-painted. Prices begin at $20 or so, not counting removing the dial and shipping."

Andy i'm surprised as well, once i found on internet a gen adv with this exact dial and chinese made the same rep version (i own one, gift for my father) but i have never seen a Aqua Terra in the flesh or for sale with this dial. :)

The lume is not as good as in my gen SMP but very close.