When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Starting a bussines?

Franke

After a couple of months searching an mailing, i finaly reached a factory in china that produces replica watches. The reason for me to do this was dual:

1. In my quest of understanding the rep bussines, i have tried to understand these replicas actually are made. Who makes them, what is the pricelavel, are there ETA

Just be aware that the effort vs. reward may be less than what you think. Seized product from customs, returns, items showing up DOA, QC return rate and most of all, the risk are all factors that you need to take into account. Yes, the margins look good on paper, but be aware that you may be faced with spending 2 - 3 times what your initial cost is to keep your customer happy. And above all, are you willing to face prosecution for selling replica goods? That is potentially the greatest consequence....

It's not that easy of a business methinks. In my time of collecting and observing the industry, I have seen many come and go... Some have left on terms not of their choosing...

Franke,

Finding and getting supply of watches is the simple bit.

Managing the business, whilst avoiding visits from both customs, government fair trading organisations, and the legal representatives of the watch companies, is a very different matter.

As Ubi said,...many have come and gone....and only the very astute and knowledgable remain in business.

Frankly, the fact that you feel the need to ask the question, should actually give you your answer.

Ask yourself another question...."Do I fancy jail time, for a few bucks?"

Offshore

After a couple of months searching an mailing, i finaly reached a factory in china that produces replica watches. The reason for me to do this was dual:

1. In my quest of understanding the rep bussines, i have tried to understand these replicas actually are made. Who makes them, what is the pricelavel, are there ETA

Some have left on terms not of their choosing...

Yeah, i know, it´s risky bussines for sure, and it would of course be ideal to operate from whitin the big C. Unfortunately i do not live there anymore. (I´m not of chinese origin.)

But is it worth spending time? Maybe not. But still tempting.

Edited by Franke

Given the European Union's strict enforcement of ant-counter fitting laws I do not think you have chosen the best line of business to start up. It is better suited to a jurisdiction that puts little to no effort into enforcement and interdiction (read China). This is unless you have criminal proclivities by nature and accept seizure of your goods and finances along with fines and civil litigation by legit watch makers as just a cost of doing business. Somehow, after reading your post I do not imagine you as a hardcore black market profiteer. Rather, you come across as merely a dabbler who is prime to be made an example of by some big expensively lawyered up litigant such as Cartier who take a highly aggressive approach toward the end protecting their brand from the replica business. These litigants like nothing more than taking on an easy mark to make an example of to deter others like your self from taking a turn at the business.They have taken eBay to court over the matter of fakes being sold on its site already and I believe that your pockets are not anywhere as near as deep as eBay's are. There is a reason that the rep factories flourish in China and not the EU. Now, if this is just an intellectual exercise ... then excuse the interruption.

Trust your instincts. Relocate either to the UK (where customs not so strict) or relocate to the Source - China, Find a translator, get the biz up and running on both ends, figure out the best way to 'deliver' to EU and rest of world etc. Whilst you're there, check out the Iorange (Its actually an iphone) and the booming rep phone and MP3 industry... Just my 2c.. lest they can't arrest you when you're in China!