When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Keyless Works for my 1665 2846

mjmj

After removing and replacing my movements and dials a number of times over the last few months and learning not to push too hard on the keyless release, I have somehow managed to stuff up my keyless for an ETA 2846 for the 1665 shown in my avatar. I pressed lightly on the button and the stem came out and somehow when inserting the stem back in, the stem goes right in without it locking as it has done many times. Has anyone had an issue with the keyless after being pressed softly numerous times, lets say 5 times in the last 5 hours causing the keyless to cease up?

SO, I have searched the forums and the topics that show how to fix the keyless have had their images removed. Does anyone here have a copy of how to fix the keyless with images please?

Also, since the stem is not working, I cannot turn the datewheel to remove the datewheel. Is there a way of removing the datewheel without the use of the stem bearing in mind that there is an overlay glued onto the datewheel therefore hiding the wheel teeth?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks MJ

Hey MJ,

I don't have any pictures that I can post but it sounds like the yoke may have come out of the clutch slot or one of the other parts has come disconnected. I have had this happen to me before and it is a real pain. You may try inserting the stem and wiggling it around to see if you can manipulate the parts back in place. If that doesn't work, you will probably have to take off the dial and hands and reset the keyless works. It shouldn't be too hard if you have a set of small screwdrivers and tweezers. ETA has taken down their technical document for the 2846 but the 2836-2 is very similar. You can find it at the link below. Just select meclaline from the drop down menu and then select 2836-2 for the movement. It may not be much help. If you want to take a picture and PM me, I will take a look at it. I think that I have a 2846 somewhere that I can take a picture of what it is supposed to look like. I might not be able to get to it today though. Maybe someone else will have what you are looking for. Best of luck!!!!

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=3&tabid=28

For fixing the keyless works...

Uncase the movement and you'll see something likethis:

IMG_4576.jpg

You'll likely need to remove the datewheel overlay to access the spring to release the ETA datewheel:

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4583a.jpg

Once the datewheel is removed, you'll have access to the keyless works:

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_4572a.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4575a.jpg

Should be able to tell fairly quickly if something is out of place...

:)

Reinstall is the reverse process...

Hope this (kinda) helps...

//ubi

I ve fixed the keyless, now the trick for me is to put the date wheel back on blindly. There is a Rolex flat 3 silver overlay glued on the datewheel and therefore the teeth are hidden by this. Are there any tricks to get the wheel on with the overlay hiding the teeth?

I find the easiest way is with a razor blade. Just line up the two little keys with the teeth of the DW and use the tip of a razor blade to push in the little spring. Once you get used to finding the spring it only takes a second to do it.