When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying from a seller in Miami......need advice / help

Samurai

So closed a deal with a seller on watchnet (buying a JLC gen watch for over 60% off). The price is very very good indeed (am paying $6,100 for something with a MRP of about 15K).

The seller is fairly new over @ watchnet and has a couple of references only. He does have a feedback rating of about 12 on ebay (the ratings have been left by a wide variety of users with their own feedback ratings ranging from 1 - 2156....averaging about 100+).

Two issues here:

# Protect myself - asked the seller to send me a pic of the watch with a specific time on it....and he sent it to me right away (pic is not very clear as was taken from blackberry - can see that in exif data of pic). The seller has sent me his tel. no. in the US. He has also sent me a PP invoice thru his company and has mentioned the name of the watch etc. in the invoice details there. He is willing to ship via Fed-Ex insured.

QUESTION >>> Is there anything else I can do to protect myself?

# Seller protection - He is insisting on a PP verified account and a PP confirmed address. Now I have a verified account with PP since '03....but in Singapore there is no concept of a confirmed address with PP. I spoke to PP and they confirmed this....sent me a mail saying that PP does not provide address confirmation in Singapore. I forwarded this to the seller as well. I also told him that I am willing to provide him with copies of my driving license or card, if required (to which he said...was not needed).

QUESTION>>> What can I do to assure the seller that I am legit?

My last option would be to find a member here who is willing to help out. Then will send PP money to him and have him pay the seller via PP...get the watch and re-ship it to me.

Any suggestions/opinions are most appreciated.

Cheers

UPDATE - so the seller says that he will only ship to a PP confirmed address (alternately...I can do a wire-transfer to him....but them I am not protected). Hence...I have no option but to look for a US based member to help me out.

Im am not saying that the seller is trying to ripp you off, Indeed he might be a great guy and seller. But for me it Is to risky. There have been several members that have been in similar situations and the final result was not good. There are to many things that can go wrong. If you are talking about a small amout of money then the chances are not as great. The figures you are stating are to big a risk Imoh, good luck and proceed with caution :) Mike

I know...the risk is great. Typically, how do people buy this via PayPal?

The seller is a person based in Miami. His phone no. starts with 305. He does not have a store/shop and does not typically meet people directly.

His PP id, thru which he sent the invoice, says his status is "Verified Business Member (232)".

This watch is supposed to be a gift for the wife....so am sorta desperate to get this one

never desperately spend $6K. Slow your roll daddy-o.

Im sure it would be a great surprise for your wife, however i'm sure shes not expecting a $15K watch for her birthday. Id love to help you out but thats way too rich for my blood.

Sounds too good to be true.

I would use my CC via paypal. That is the best protection.

The seller is looking out for himself too but I think the risks are too high. If you cant pay using your CC via paypal then I would suggest you walk away.

My CC has refunded every purchase that I did not receive.

Problem is....I can't pay him via PP.....my address in not "confirmed" by PP (they provide this service only in US and a select few other countries). The seller does not want to ship to any address that is not confirmed by PP.

Maybe I am misreading. How does the seller asking for a verified PP account result in him being considered a potential fraudster? More fraud happens from the buyer end than seller statistically. Hell I won't even ship to Singapore. Everything he has done so far appears to be above board. He is just trying to protect himself.

I can think of three alternatives.

1) Buy a plane ticket and go to Miami. Have the watch opened and verified at a JLC dealer and give him the cash.

2) Find a JLC dealer in Miami or some place close and ask them to receive the watch, open and verify it, and then hand over the cash you've already sent them, as they send you the watch.

3) Use an online escrow service. Escrow.com appears to be a good one. Here are some details about good ones and bad ones: Consumer Reports Escrow discussion

P4GTR has, as always, good advice. Never be in a hurry to spend that kind of money. Life will go on. But there are ways to do this.

Sorry to hear that.. I would pass if I were you unless you are able to go any of the remaining routes suggested by Nanuq:

1) Buy a plane ticket and go to Miami. Have the watch opened and verified at a JLC dealer and give him the cash.

2) Find a JLC dealer in Miami or some place close and ask them to receive the watch, open and verify it, and then hand over the cash you've already sent them, as they send you the watch.