When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OEM 217 CG next to the EL CG plus Crowns

PeteM

I thought I would post some pics of the gen CG next to the EL. Unfortunately I no longer have the DSN version to put it next to also. But I can say the DSN is completely inaccurate and really doesnt warrant comparison to the gen or EL regardless.

The gen is bigger than the EL, it is longer, wider and thicker.

The REG TM is positioned differently, this is the case in the other EL versions I have had.

The pin is slightly off on the EL and thinner.

The lever is close in shape (Not size), but is slightly different although the way it sits in the body and against the case makes this difference greater in appearance.

The edges of the body where it sits against the case are also off in terms of the chamfering and 'squaring off' This is the biggest flaw in the DSN which has none.

The depth of the engraving is much deeper on the EL and does stand out.

Overall these CGs are very close at a distance but do not stand up to close scrutiny, as most rep parts, though it can be used with relative confidence, IMO.

The EL in the pictures has been rebrushed and repinned as any EL CGs I have seen that came direct from Eddie were not finished completely.

The OEM came direct from OP and was sealed in the box though I have not put it together yet. Having also seen the 127 CGs I would suggest a lot of the same comments can be made as stated above.

The brush finish on the gen is much more subtle than a lot of the rep ones I have seen, I think this is because that in pics on the gen the brushwork seems much more pronounced than it is in your hand so this tends to be copied as the pics rather than the real thing. Similar to the way the shape and distortion is recreated in the crystals including the AR which is a strong purple blue though we as collectors tend to think its more like the pics we see which doesnt show the hue in many of the pics.

I have taken a few pics as my photography skills aint great!!

The gen is on the left.

4644553416_415a19f55a_o.jpg

4644553488_248050b0f3_o.jpg

4644553552_382d51656e_o.jpg

4644553612_27ed4266c9_o.jpg

4644553672_476fd85cf9_o.jpg

4644553756_3a633cbe5d_o.jpg

4644553830_5d2718cacf_o.jpg

4644553896_966083d7f8_o.jpg

4644553964_10db91c051_o.jpg

4643938151_5a2d78ee4a_o.jpg

4644554252_eb1e9222f3_o.jpg

4644554330_e9c519ed55_o.jpg

4644554402_e7c1cff61e_o.jpg

I also took some pics of the gen crown for 127/217. I have these along side the EL and DSN sprung crowns. The gen is in the middle.

The closest match is the EL. This is because of the overall finish the EL is polished like the gen the DSN less so. The width and edging of the face of the crown which the lever pushes against is also much more accurate on the EL and when housed is iMHO noticeable.

Overall the EL as we all know comes out on top compared to the gen noticeably more than the DSN and given the inaccuracies of the DSN case. I would never suggest it worth modding a DSN version better to start with a correct EL or build your own using EL parts from different versions. Though some EL versions will require further modding on certain parts. Some EL CGs have been modded further so be careful these havent been over modded if you find one. I saw an EL 127 CG posted here yesterday and its been overdone to the point it is more inaccurate than the original CG especially fitted to the case in the pics posted so just because its an EL doesnt make it accurate or correct for the watch. So make sure you are happy with the part before you buy and dont just buy it because its an EL.

4643938483_45bf127dff_o.jpg

4644554528_fa4b9f7666_o.jpg

4643938753_1e0449914d_o.jpg

4643938821_936e298566_o.jpg

Nice comparison. I can see that the gen is a bit thicker/taller and has cleaner engravings closer to the edge. But the EL could easily pass for gen until subjected to macro photo-shoots or the unlikelihood of a loupe touting Paneristi being within punching distance :D

Now why can't they do the same with the A-F/G and H+ Luminor series crown guards?

Nice comparison. I can see that the gen is a bit thicker/taller and has cleaner engravings closer to the edge. But the EL could easily pass for gen until subjected to macro photo-shoots or the unlikelihood of a loupe touting Paneristi being within punching distance :D

Now why can't they do the same with the A-F/G and H+ Luminor series crown guards?

Totally agree the other big difference is where the feet of the CG meet the case, I think I would find that the easiest tell at a distance (as in across a table etc) The EL is head and shoulders above the cartel and DSN versions, those are a definite easy tell at distance.

Aagh now thats a question only him up there can answer... just like "why am I so good looking?"?!!! ;)

Great comparo Pete, much appreciated.

Although I never held a gen 127/217 in my hand I always maintained how the EL CG is slightly thinner overall then the gen, and the area of the CG around the pin also very 'skinny'. These pics definitely confirm my 'worries' B)

On the other hand, it's not like I will bump into anyone wearing the 127 on the wrist who will scrutinize my EL 127 :) Even the gen 127 owners don't wear them often these days, LOL!

The polished crown dish comes as a surprise to me, as all the gen 127/217 photos I collected over the years show it with circular brushed finish, go figure... :g:

Thanks once again!

b

Hi D

Nice to see you again mate.

That brushed cup always confused me as like you said some pics it looks brushed like DSNs but I did post a link a while ago with some great macros which show, to me anyway I was wrong. Holding the gen crown now just proves it to me.

And yeah as I say overall the CG is very passable to even the keenest eye... ;)

Heres that link in case you havent seen it...

http://forums.watchn...to=357443&rid=0

In one of the pics in the link you see a clear reflection of the lever in the cup so I think what threw me alot was the fact the cup was reflecting the brush work of the CG body rather than being brushed itself as it is very highly polished.

Pete,

First I need to say that I am quite glad to see you posting again... It means you are at least up and around a bit. I hope you are doing well Bro! Great comparo on these CG's. I must say, I am surprised just how well the EL does. At most angles he is SO close. I have had maybe 3 and being a CG lover enjoyed each one of them. I did not realize the similarity to Gen. I know there were different versions, but all in they are the cat's meow... Thanks Bro!

Pete,

First I need to say that I am quite glad to see you posting again... It means you are at least up and around a bit. I hope you are doing well Bro! Great comparo on these CG's. I must say, I am surprised just how well the EL does. At most angles he is SO close. I have had maybe 3 and being a CG lover enjoyed each one of them. I did not realize the similarity to Gen. I know there were different versions, but all in they are the cat's meow... Thanks Bro!

Thanks Blane, I appreciate your words mate and your support when I was under the weather

Cheers mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Welcome back Pete. Nice comparison :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Happy to have a spare EL 217 CG in the parts bin - definitely the best of the rep CG's

Hi D, Thanks mate. Good to be back :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Always good to have a few spare, I had 2 but for the life of me I cant find one of them!! The one in the pics is the better one so it could of been worse!! ;)

Hey MATE!!

Did you finish this puppy yet?

You've been working on her for some time!

Hey MATE!!

Did you finish this puppy yet?

You've been working on her for some time!

Not yet mate! I am planning to have the case professionally brushed as gen. It wasnt my intention originally but having seen the real thing a few times now and with the possibility of getting an ex OP guy to do it I think its worth the wait. Unfortunately circumstances meant I still havent done that but hope to soon now I am feeling better.

Get better young Alex

Get better young Alex

Thankyou my droog for your messels. Took a bit of a tolchock but having peeted plenty of vellocet me is skorry getting choodessny and will soon be back govoreeting chepooka.

Real Horrorshow my bratty!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Definitely glad to hear you are feeling better Pete.

I am going to echo what babola said above regarding the polished, rounded surface on the crown facing....I didn't know that is how then gen is.

I'll definitely have to see about getting that refreshed on my EL crown

Thanks for the outstanding and informative comparison pics.

Edited by haveblue

Thanks again guys for your thoughts I really appreciate it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Going back to the brush and polish aspect of the crown cup. I have also noticed on a few of the gen crowns I have had on the 44mm's are very highly polished unlike the crowns we get from the better sources.

I was wondering if theres any rule to this if you guys know?? For instance I think the rule from what I have seen is ' Brushed CG brushed cup.... polished CG polished cup' would you guys agree??

Though of course the 47mm's are not following that nor do the 44mm fifties cases like the 253, 212, 286 etc

Any thoughts or experiences?

Going back to the brush and polish aspect of the crown cup. I have also noticed on a few of the gen crowns I have had on the 44mm's are very highly polished unlike the crowns we get from the better sources.

I was wondering if theres any rule to this if you guys know?? For instance I think the rule from what I have seen is ' Brushed CG brushed cup.... polished CG polished cup' would you guys agree??

Pete, as far as the 44mm case crowns go, I've seen both in the gen form - the polished ones and slightly brushed ones with a bit of a machined 'sunburst' type finish.

The latter type you should easily notice if you go down to your AD and play with the crown on the current 111 or 005 etc.

cheers,

b

Pete, as far as the 44mm case crowns go, I've seen both in the gen form - the polished ones and slightly brushed ones with a bit of a machined 'sunburst' type finish.

The latter type you should easily notice if you go down to your AD and play with the crown on the current 111 or 005 etc.

cheers,

b

Thanks mate

Any thoughts on the rule of the models using them?

As I mentioned with the brushed CG..Polished CG...have you come across that in your experience mate Or anyone else care to comment on what they have seen with gens

That 219 of mine has sort of a lightly brushed -polished finish if that makes any sense?

My 177 and 240 are brushed but then again they are both Titanium

my 299 is polished

Thanks mate

Any thoughts on the rule of the models using them?

As I mentioned with the brushed CG..Polished CG...have you come across that in your experience mate Or anyone else care to comment on what they have seen with gens

Hi Pete,

I don't believe there were any 'rules' as such. What I've seen is basically a mish-mash of different CG and crown finishes when it comes to gen Pams.

I will try to illustrate this in th etwo pictures below. As you can see the CGs are polished but the crowns are decidedly brushed in concentric circular finish. This is however not easily noticeable by the naked eye from the eye-wrist distance, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

- PAM001 A-series

00016254.jpg

- PAM111 E-series

DSC032451024x768.jpg