When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TV Show 'Chuck' Rolex Oyster Perpetual?

looseends

I am not well versed in classic Rolex, so I'm wondering is this is authentic or fantasy? Seconds at 6? Roman and Arabic numerals? :blink:

rolexgovernor.jpg

Some background for those unfamiliar with 'Chuck' - basically he was an average, yet intelligent, guy who ends up with a CIA computer in his brain known as the 'Intersect.' We eventually learn [spoilers!] that his father designed the original Intersect, and it eventually has debilitating effects. This season, Chuck's father designs a 'Governor' in the form of the timepiece above, which regulates the Intersect to prevent Chuck from losing his mind.

I'm guessing a fantasy dial (ironically, I was working on a very similar design a few days ago for personal amusement) The thing which makes me suspect a fantasy dial, is the layout of the text, with Rolex and Oyster on the same line... Either way :victory: for something a bit different and a break from the norm of the usual suspects :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks guys. So actually in my research, once I had a starting point, it looks like the

Rolex Oyster

Perpetual

line break is gen:

200803191544580.P1010045.JPG200902201507490.P1010027.JPG

...and lots more examples where those came from.

Only the hands, I can't seem to find an example of those, also the dial is way too pristine (and rather 'flat' looking, even considering the lousy capture) which is what stood out to me at first. I am leaning towards prop/replica, but the prop master certainly new what he was re-creating. Thanks again, I learned a whole lot about Rolex and Bubblebacks today. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks guys. So actually in my research, once I had a starting point, it looks like the

Rolex Oyster

Perpetual

line break is gen:

200803191544580.P1010045.JPG200902201507490.P1010027.JPG

...and lots more examples where those came from.

Only the hands, I can't seem to find an example of those, also the dial is way too pristine (and rather 'flat' looking, even considering the lousy capture) which is what stood out to me at first. I am leaning towards prop/replica, but the prop master certainly new what he was re-creating. Thanks again, I learned a whole lot about Rolex and Bubblebacks today. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim: WOW!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm going to do a little research into this subject myself, I love how those watches look, they must have looked incredible when they were first built :victory:

[Edit to add]

This was the concept work I mentioned above. Purely done for my own amusement, and as I'm not able to save anything on my autoCAD program, I did a 'rush job' to finish the overall look before retiring for the night. I wasn't originally planning to put it up for display, but as the subject has come up, I figured I would share :)

RolexCalifornia.jpg

That's a beautiful dial, TeeJay!

Thanks, I'm glad you approve, that really means lot coming from a builder of your caliber :drinks: Had I been able to actually save the progress (I used an expired trial version of the software, so projects can be started, but not saved :lol: ) I would have done all the Rolex text and coronet 'in program', rather than having to import it, which resulted in the outline boxes (I'd've also done a better job of filling in the minute track :whistling: ) I figured this dial in a modern Milgauss case would have looked pretty sharp :victory:

So, would this print be a candidate for one of the slarti dial decals?

I think it would be an ideal candidate for the decal process, the question being if Slarti would have the time to collaborate on the project :whistling: (which sadly, would mean re-doing the entire design from scratch himself, as what I have saved, is a screen capture, so not really workable in autoCAD) My other idea, which I didn't get time to do, would be to actually have 'California' in cursive above the 'superlative chronometer' text, but I have to admit, I think the basic design stands as it is without the extra text :)

[Edit to add]

I managed to make a few tweaks in Paint to make it a bit more presentable, but I felt like I was trying to adjust the timing of a movement with a chisel and sledgehammer :whistling:

RolexCalifornia-1.jpg