When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

34mm Tudor Prince Oysterdate Case Samples

jmb

OK, got my "stuff" today and here are some pics of the Tudor rep cases I ordered. In my limited experience with the genuine article I think some aspects of the case are pretty good while others are the usual rep snafus, i.e. pretty sure case back engraving is totally wrong. I think, though, that these would build up into a fairly pleasing-on-the-wrist Tudor which should be fairly easy to build. I have bought several gen Prince Date and Prince Oysterdate dials on flea-bay for under $30, add a 2836-2, some Datejust hands, and a nice Tudor Bracelet, and you have a decent looking watch!

I ordered the cheap ones (mineral glass crystal) as I plan on replacing the crystal with a plexi unit. Here are a few pics for your comments:

Tudor Case Front.JPG

Tudor Case Back.JPG

Tudor Case Crown-Side.JPG

Tudor Case Side.JPG

Tudor Case Top.JPG

Tudor Case Bottom.JPG

I will add this:

dial 1.jpg

and this:

Tudor Jub 1.JPG

I think it'll look rather "yummy"! ;)

I have been doing much web surfing and it seems the engraving on this case-back looks correct for later Prince Date watches but maybe not so for the older Prince Oysterdate models. I'm not complainin' 'cause it made a really nice looking easy to wear timepiece!

I've always viewed caseback accuracy as a 'flourish' on a watch (especially a project build). Sure, it's nice to get the correct one, but as it's so rarely seen, as long as they keep the movement in, and the water out, I tend to be happy :lol::tu:

That said, I am planning on getting one of these, so I can use the caseback for my Snowflake project, and I'll just fit a blank caseback to the Oyster Date :) I'll then be swapping the bracelet for a black leather strap, just to have it nice and classy :victory:

I'm gonna ask my parts guy if he can also get the more "vintage" case backs like you WE example. As far as straps go, I don't really like 'em, for the most part - except the ones that have end-links and deployment clasps look pretty good...

I'm gonna ask my parts guy if he can also get the more "vintage" case backs like you WE example. As far as straps go, I don't really like 'em, for the most part - except the ones that have end-links and deployment clasps look pretty good...

That'd be cool if he can get hold of that kind of casebacks :) I'm pretty much the same as you when it comes to straps. I like how straps look, but I find a bracelet more durable when it comes to day in, day out wear. For me, leather straps with buckles are for dress watches, straps with clasps are a bit more 'everyday' and definitely look sharp, but I feel pretty pointless on a water-resistant watch, as moisture will just affect the leather, and NATO straps, I just keep for either very hot conditions, or where functionality is key :lol: I do have a silicone tropic strap on order, which should be with me in about 3 weeks. My plan is to use it on the Chrono project, but if it actually has the back structure of the original tropic straps, and not just the basket-weave on the front, I could be tempted to use it on a Sub as a summer alternative to NATO, which I don't like getting wet due to the drying time :victory: