When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP Oil Spill

Mark Eleven

Although I'm not in the gulf area affected by the oil spill, I was watching and following live video feed of the BP oil spill, hoping that "Top Kill" would work. But it didn't and now it looks like only the relief wells will work - 90 days from now.

By then it will be the all time worst disaster the world ever experience, if not already now.

The thing that bothers me here is the oil companies total unreadiness for such a spill.

It's been "Let's try this!"...no..."Ok let's try this!"

Surely they should have a worse case scenario mindset when laying down emergency procedures?

Ken

There is no way to come up with a contingency plan for something at those depths. There is no contingency plan for a Shuttle bailout at 62 miles either. Funny the Deepsea could get there though. Seriously. Whay did it take Obama a month to roll into town. That's what I would like to know.

Well, Jindal should have given the feds the middle finger and done whatever was necessary to protect the coastline. LA knows that the feds are useless because Katrina was less than 5yrs ago. So it should have been obvious from day one that the feds would end up doing what they always do: stalling, delaying, and scratching their collective ass.

And yet, one thing has nothing to do with the other here.

Agreed. Many people assume that only "mean" SUVs driven by "rich" people use the products of petroleum. I challenge anyone on this forum to go a single day without making use of at least one critical item/activity not somehow derived from, or powered with a product of petroleum. Where do people think this energy resource really comes from? If anything, this particular situation could be said to illustrate a lack of foresight regarding the mitigation of such accidents by developing ready-for-implementation procedures for this type of situation. Yet, even then, it would be difficult. Doing anything at 5,000 feet and at 400 atmospheres would be daunting at best. Perhaps, greed was a factor in not preparing/developing equipment and techniques for dealing with this situation. But, ultimately, these things can, and will, occur. Maybe just once every 20 years, or once every 100 years, but they will occur. Contrary to popular belief, we are generations away from powering everything with "harmless" sources of energy. Until then, we are going to have to exploit petroleum and other sources currently available.