When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Difficult (impossible?) Replica: Daytona

fellfell

I have acquired a Daytona replica, I have seen the photos of the dealers of RWG, have read the posts, above all those of Ubi (very good) and have caught up some convictions

I say, you say to me your opinion to you.

Replica Daytona ref. 116520 (model puts into effect them). It has a movement (asian) valjoux second running at six.

The too much high movement is and the watch is often nearly the double quantity of originates it them. Moreover mine (is not important WHERE I have buyed, all the Daytona that have dealers the RWG are identical) have a poor poor dial and it does not have the rifiniture that deserves the replica of the king of the rolex.

2) Daytona ref ref. 16520 automatic rifle. Origonal have a caliber Rolex 4030 Zenith base, deeply modified. This watch that I love and I have not found from RWG replica dealers has, in replica a caliber valjoux/asian valjoux second running at 9.

This caliber has subdials the too much far and watch is sbilenco (italian for cripple )

3) Daytona vintages, Cosmograph, Daytona Paul Newman dial. Original have rolex caliber base Valjoux tricompax manual.

Replicas have two movements, Valjoux/asian auto or Lemania (?? fake chinese movement that copy an old swiss movement that today is product in Russia as Raketa BIcompax.

The firs have defects that I have listed before, the Lemania has only two subdials that work and the distance between subdials is different one that in originates it them.

All dials are poor rifinited ecc..

Is INCREDIBLE. In world of replicas exist very nice crono, see it http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;hl=breitling

this Breitling is nearly perfect (that what thoughts you of it?)

and instead the watch more loved in the the decent world have not a decent replica.

I have seen also many others sellers not only those of RWG, but the tragic situation is in every place

I have tried also to try a replica with caliber Zenith original, but I have not never found any.

For this Daytona replica with Zenith some persons would spend many dollars( also I).

But it or does not exist or it hides. What thoughts you of all this? As I always ask excuse for your difficulties caused to my imperfect english. Good sunday to all friends

Hi fellfell. For the Daytonas... I have found that the only way to get a good one is to build it from parts. It is very expensive, yes... But the result is more than worth the effort, and for the 6263 and 16520, it is very possible to find parts, as they are not all proprietary Rolex.

For the 16520 El Primero- You need a good case. In my project, I was lucky enough to find a genuine case, which fits the movement perfect. I am not sure if there are good aftermarket cases available- I have sen some things that would indicate these exist, but I have yet to see one. The next step is to get the dial, hands, and a good El Primero movement, which can be found on eBay, but sometimes you'll need to use a donor watch to take the movement from.

118836-22074.jpg

For a 6263, it is best to start with a DW, or to obtain a V72 case kit, which can sometimes be found on eBay. Usually the case kits will have almost everything you need, except the movement and dial (though each set differs; check the description of the contents prior to deciding on a purchase if you go this route). From here, you will need to obtain a dial and movement, and assemble. Or, you can get a pre-made DW with a V23 copy movement, and install some gen parts on it. I myself went with a complete DW, and swapped the copy movement for a genuine Swiss Valjoux 23 movement.

118836-22075.jpg

So, short answer... If you want a good Daytona, it's best to build it using high quality parts (or genuine parts when you can find and purchase those items). Difficult? Yes. But not impossible!

^_^

Hope this helps...

Best,

R

Hi fellfell. For the Daytonas... I have found that the only way to get a good one is to build it from parts. It is very expensive, yes... But the result is more than worth the effort, and for the 6263 and 16520, it is very possible to find parts, as they are not all proprietary Rolex.

For the 16520 El Primero- You need a good case. In my project, I was lucky enough to find a genuine case, which fits the movement perfect. I am not sure if there are good aftermarket cases available- I have sen some things that would indicate these exist, but I have yet to see one. The next step is to get the dial, hands, and a good El Primero movement, which can be found on eBay, but sometimes you'll need to use a donor watch to take the movement from.

119044-21991.jpg

For a 6263, it is best to start with a DW, or to obtain a V72 case kit, which can sometimes be found on eBay. Usually the case kits will have almost everything you need, except the movement and dial (though each set differs; check the description of the contents prior to deciding on a purchase if you go this route). From here, you will need to obtain a dial and movement, and assemble. Or, you can get a pre-made DW with a V23 copy movement, and install some gen parts on it. I myself went with a complete DW, and swapped the copy movement for a genuine Swiss Valjoux 23 movement.

119044-21992.jpg

Yes, in Italy there are some "mercatini" (I do not know well like translate “mercatini” perhaps “encounter in the open air of non professional antique dealing vendors”) where is difficult but possible buy used original parts. I have two problems:

1) I am not a orologist and I do not know to take apart and to assemble a watch (but can I learn this reading on RWG?)

2) I do not know which base to use. It would appeal to to see (and buyed) one to me of these DW, but where they find themselves?

In the RWG dealers the Daytona Zenith replica there is not, and vintage lemania $ 200 are bad, not a good base for upgrading project.

You are very expert, if you lived in Italy I would come to visit you (with one good bottle of sparkling wine Ferrari or Berlucchi or Brunello di Montalcino) for to have your consils.

Thanks for the answer,

119046-21989.jpg

119046-21990.jpg

So, short answer... If you want a good Daytona, it's best to build it using high quality parts (or genuine parts when you can find and purchase those items). Difficult? Yes. But not impossible!

^_^

Hope this helps...

Best,

R

Yes, in Italy there are some "mercatini" (I do not know well like translate “mercatini” perhaps “encounter in the open air of non professional antique dealing vendors”) where is difficult but possible buy used original parts. I have two problems:

1) I am not a orologist and I do not know to take apart and to assemble a watch (but can I learn this reading on RWG?)

2) I do not know which base to use. It would appeal to to see (and buyed) one to me of these DW, but where they find themselves?

In the RWG dealers the Daytona Zenith replica there is not, and vintage lemania $ 200 are bad, not a good base for upgrading project.

You are very expert, if you lived in Italy I would come to visit you (with one good bottle of sparkling wine Ferrari or Berlucchi or Brunello di Montalcino) for to have your consils.

Thanks for the answer,

Guest RiverwindMDS
michael,

I'll bring 'em! And maybe a few others too...

fellfell,

If I lived in Italy, I would build one of these watches for you. But for now... I send you a private message (PM) instead ^_^

Dear Randy,

I'm in the same situation as fellfell and I also live in Italy. Can you send me the same PM you send him.

Thanks

Marco

I must say... Having a genuine El Primero 400 in my Daytona, I have the highest respect for the brand as a manufacturer! They know how to put a high quality movement together; and even though the new Rolex 4130 is highly praised, I myself prefer the El Primero...

Randy can you please send me same PM which you sent to the guys :)

I'll just post the contents here. The auctions that I linked to are all ended, so you'll need to use these as references on what to get:

Start with this case set:

Case Set.

Use the movement from this watch:

Valjoux 72.

Use a dial like this:

Dial.

The dial is, of course a redial, as a genuine dial is going to cost a fortune. On the rare and sought after models like the 6239/6240/6241/6262/6263/6265 (standard and exotic's) the dial is 80% of the watch's value. So, the only economical way to do this is with a non-genuine dial.

Once finished, you will have a very nice 6263!

I hope this helps...

Best regards,

Randy