When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buy or Build

blackbard

I have a S/A and am considering a dive watch. I've looked at Oris, Breitlings and some other mid level brands but I keep coming to the point that I need a franken Breitling or a Gen for a tool watch.

My choice is to build the S/A into a super Franken, with Gen Dial, Swiss movement and then go through the effort of water proofing. I love the size of larger divers and really like the S/A.

What is your opinion? Build the franken or buy a gen?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I have donor watches with Swiss 7750's and like the cheaper small wings white dials off ebay for gen dials......

hey BB...

go for the franken SA - there's a really sexy looking gen red arabic dial...something different than the normal colors...

ya know - what would also be cool to do is to patiently brush the SA case when you do...that would add a sense of diver to it and less bling...

you could also keep your eye out for the elusive titantiun Seawolf and drop a gen dial in it...it's already got an eta movement, too...

will be cool to follow where you go...

R-

Cool R. Thanks for replying. I was just thinking about a nice brush finish to make it different. I'll keep you in the loop on my quest for the perfect diver.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If you run across anything interesting, ping me as always....

BTW, I'll shoot pics for our other convo.

:pardon:

id recommend a non chrono model, seawolf or steelfish, much easier to waterproof and much less chance of a leak. The chrono pushers are a risk.

Agree completely, but I love chrono divers. Even if I buy, it will be a chrono. I wont be diving, just swimming....But you are correct....If I can find a diver WITHOUT the helium relief, it would be easier, but I dont think they are large enough and I love the S/A.

Good luck with it BB!

It will be interesting to see how you WR those chronograph pushers. Especially they are not screw down.

Not to moving away from the main topic. My SOSF without purposely sent for WR, survived from Florida swamp earlier this year. I was amazed it's naturally water tight (not sure what depth it can hold up).

Good luck with it BB!

It will be interesting to see how you WR those chronograph pushers. Especially they are not screw down.

Not to moving away from the main topic. My SOSF without purposely sent for WR, survived from Florida swamp earlier this year. I was amazed it's naturally water tight (not sure what depth it can hold up).

I figure, since Breitling claims 300M for this watch, it should be doable?

I see. Very interesting! If you finish with yours, please let us know :) I personally would like to get one done too :)

Will do. Need to know if I need a different version of the rep first. Not sure which version I bought here. I see a few frankens but most are just a dial change. I need hands and dial at a minimum since I have a spare movement....

Anyone have parts? :thumbsupsmileyanim: