When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Base for Modding Explorer II? Anyone tried?

gtanak

Been troughing the bay for parts for my 16710 project and came across several items like the one below. Its a brandless explorer/gmt from Parnis factory with sterile dial. The bezel case crystal is made to resemble the explorer II. Has anyone tried getting one of these and swapping in a explorer dial? Just thinking it would make an suitable base for modding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Explorer-II-GMT-Dual-Time-Submariner-Watch-Master-Sub-/330432620438?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4cef51a796

A couple of months ago I saw this watch or a similar one for around $60-70 from a seller in HK. Since it has a 2813 movt, why not just buy a rep from one of the dealers- if you want the black dial, go with a noob from BK. If you're looking to swap in a white dial, good luck! Let us know how you make out. Good white dialed Explorer II's are virtually non existent. Watcheden sells the white dial rep with the correct black surround markers, but it's only so-so, IMO.

Don't buy from him, they go for way more than they do from other (hong kong/china based) ebay sellers!!

I've got both the black and the white dial and I'm very impressed with them. They feel solid, not at all cheap, and they are pretty smooth sweeping for what they are. The lume is pretty good too, although clearly still rep lume. No issues with the GMT hand either so far.

I had wondered about doing the dial swap myself but, tbh, I think they look great as they are, plus being sterile means you never have any call out worries 8)

Im in the same boat. I have an older white dial exp II and I wanted to replace the case, bezel and crystal. the dial I have is very good. it has the correct black markers and lume is above average than most reps. I contacted this ebay seller and is willing to sell just the case for $45 shipped... good enough or a bit expensive? http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320544000286&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My expII is only a 2813.