When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SeaDwellers under water

FxrAndy

One of my first reps, a Omega PO. Which I bought from someone just because I liked the watch. He sold it to me as a ETA version (clueless what that meant at that time).

And without knowing much of rep watches, I just went diving with it, up till 40 meters deep, no problems at all. Was I just lucky?

Find some silica gel packs like you get in new shoes ans electrical items, and a small tuperware container or a zip lock bag remove the case back and get it all sealed op to get the moisture out asap then there is a good chance it will survive

Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply! I found one pack and am hoping it works. I don't see any water in the watch, so I may be in luck. Worst part is I was expecting my watch to be waterproof enough for my pool as I plan on wearing it in there regularly.

Chris

Andy,

Your trick appears to have worked for my watch. At this time it's running smoothly and there is no moisture in the watch anymore. Thanks for the help! Now to figure out what went wrong...

UT,

there have been many posts about water resistance on the forums over the years. The general consensus is that you should treat every rep watch as being non water resistant until proven otherwise. The QC as we all know is non existant with reps, despite what some sellers tell you, excetions would be BK and possibly WM9. Other than those, I would have the watch pressure tested and see if it holds up. If the tolerences are within spec, gaskets and o rings are siliconed, then it should be Ok, but without a pressure test, you are taking a real chance submersing a rep. You were lucky, yours was probably a tiny leak and it was in fresh water. Get a seawater flood, and your new watch is an expensive paperweight! Best to be safe than sorry.

UT,

there have been many posts about water resistance on the forums over the years. The general consensus is that you should treat every rep watch as being non water resistant until proven otherwise. The QC as we all know is non existant with reps, despite what some sellers tell you, excetions would be BK and possibly WM9. Other than those, I would have the watch pressure tested and see if it holds up. If the tolerences are within spec, gaskets and o rings are siliconed, then it should be Ok, but without a pressure test, you are taking a real chance submersing a rep. You were lucky, yours was probably a tiny leak and it was in fresh water. Get a seawater flood, and your new watch is an expensive paperweight! Best to be safe than sorry.

I hear what you are saying, but I paid extra $ to have the watch gaskets siliconed and to have the watch tested for waterproofness. I was told it tested ok to 3 bars. I bought the watch from Narikka and he's always shot straight with me, so I assumed the information was good. I now need to get the watch looked over by someone local to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I think that's the wise thing to do. Take it to a local watchmaker that has a pressure tester. that way you can see whats happening and possibly see where the water ingress point is. If you see it with your own eyes and are confident that it's tight, then you can head for the pool again. Pretty silly that the reps of today, especially those that are top grade (300-600 dollars aren't water resistant. there are lots and lots of genuine watches in that price range that are water tight, why can't the reps be as well.