When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DJs after dark...

TeeJay

Probably not news to anyone with a DJ, but I made an interesting observation while wearing this to a wedding reception saturday evening...

DSCN3184.jpg

As y'all know, I'm a big fan of dive watches, due to the night-time visibility of their large lume markers, and I figured that the small lume dots of certain DJ models would not be adequate for my requirements. However, I forgot to take the watch off when I got in and just went to bed, woke up a few hours later, and when I went to check the time, I was surprised to discover that the reflection of the lume on the rehaut, served to increase the visible glow to something nearer to the size of a Planet Ocean marker, and perfectly visible :shock::Jumpy::good: As above, probably not news to anyone owning one of these watches, but maybe of help to anyone considering getting a DJ but maybe being in two minds about the lume issue... If you wear a suit on a regular basis, forget about the subs, get a DJ, the lume will be more than adequate at night :victory:

+1 - love the DJ and the lume is quite nice on it too! It's a very, very comfortable watch :D I was surprised as well after I got mine. I didn't even realize there were lume dots on my stick dial until after I took some macro's of it.

DSC_0907.jpg

They really are very understated and versatile watches, I'm certainly starting to understand their appeal :) I'd never really worn a DJ long enough in the past to really notice the effect of the lume reflecting on the rehaut, but now I have, I'm wondering if that was the original intention of the Rolex boffins :thumbsupsmileyanim:

T, nice! Another thing that I've noticed, at least on my rep Datejust, is that it seems the "light" reflects back onto the top of the marker and instead of a dot it looks like a lit "rectangle". It's got to be the shape and angle of the actual marker, I think, as I put new "lume dots" on my Vintage Tudor dial in the same spots as the original dead stuff and all I see is "dots" at night as the markers have a different shape.

DJ:

72_sm.JPG

Old Tudor:

Dauphine 2.JPG

T, nice! Another thing that I've noticed, at least on my rep Datejust, is that it seems the "light" reflects back onto the top of the marker and instead of a dot it looks like a lit "rectangle". It's got to be the shape and angle of the actual marker, I think, as I put new "lume dots" on my Vintage Tudor dial in the same spots as the original dead stuff and all I see is "dots" at night as the markers have a different shape.

DJ:

72_sm.JPG

Old Tudor:

Dauphine 2.JPG

Thanks, bro, it's an interesting result for sure :) Might it be because the lume on the Tudor dial is slightly further from the rehaut and at a different angle, rather than the DJ dial?

The old Tudor dial's markers have a little indentation cut into them for the lume dot to butt against so the lume is actually touching the marker... I would post a close up but y'all would laugh at my lack of "lume skills". :whistling:

The old Tudor dial's markers have a little indentation cut into them for the lume dot to butt against so the lume is actually touching the marker... I would post a close up but y'all would laugh at my lack of "lume skills". :whistling:

I don't have access to superlume, but if you ever want me to take a look at the lume, just let me know :)

The Tudor really was pretty easy, just a dab at the end of th marker. It's probably the Glow, Inc. lume - it's not nearly as neat as advertised...