When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to wear?

JoJo35

Ok, here's the dilemma:

L and I are headed out to Manhattan tonight to attend a wedding in the penthouse of one of the luxury hotels.

So, the question is, what should be on the wrist? Although I tend to lean toward high-end for affairs like this, a side of me shouts out to wear the 6538. Here's the choices I've narrowed down, starting with the most likely choice: 6263, 6265, 18k Datejust, 1665dbl sws undln, 1665 chcl, 14k op undln, 16610LV Y sers, 116400LV, 5513 unln, 6541?

I have to agree with Freddy, although the point is now moot as the affair is probably over. My feelings are a formal affair (Tuxedo) calls for a very understated gold watch on a leather band. Although my collection tends toward dive and sport watches, I have a vintage IWC calatrava on a dark Alligator strap which is my "formal" watch. I never wear it for any other occasion, but with a Tux, it just looks and feels right. In JoJo's case, the DJ would have been appropriate. Having said all of this, I see folks at formal occasions wearing all sorts of watches, and footwear! I suppose if one is comfortable with and Ecozilla and tennis shoes, that's fine with me. (JoJo, that's not about you, but some of the Rednecks I see at weddings and formal affairs around here!!).

Thanks for the input guys. L and I had a great time last night. The reception was terrific, and the penthouse deck offered a nice break from the party for couples who wanted to get some air and take in the view of Manhattan on a pleasant summer night. I seriously considered the 18k datejust, but wasn't really in much of a "gold" mood. Like I mentioned earlier, I went with the black dialed big red. Understated enough, yet classy. With all the people there, I thought I would see a few nice pieces, but much to my surprise, I didn't spot even one.