When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it already time for me to look for a grail?

Gorilladame

Hi guys.

Finally having a bit more time right now, I am looking at fine watches again, fooling around with the watches I got and thinking of getting a new one.

So it came that I went to bed yesterday and could not stop thinking of a 5514. (OK I think this already gives the answer about should I or shouldn´t I :black_eye: )

Now I was looking for a good case and a nice dial.

As I am a big fan of Yuki I started looking there and found a nice combination:

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6924997/7292167.htm

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6380817/7628596.htm

So now I am thinking:

Will this watch make me happy or is the dial just too inaccurate?

Should I do the step?

Is it already time to go for a grail?

Looking forward to your comments ;-) :victory:

BTW: for all the english-guys: Sorry for kicking you out of the cup later this day :bicycle:

This is a difficult one, but I think If you can't stop thinking of a 5514 then that's the one for you! I am going through the same stage with a 1016 Explorer. First I was going to use a DJ case, but now I'm now leaning towards a Yuki as a gen seems out of the question. Similarly I picked up a refin singer dial, but it is flawed compared to the Yuki, so I'll probably go with the Yuki there. I guess the 5514 is similar to the 1016 in that you see very few gen dials (or cases) on ebay.

Why does life leave us with so many dilemmas?? :wounded1:

A grail can be whatever you want it to be, are you defining 'grail' as 'the ultimate watch which best suits your needs', 'the watch with the details and features which ppeal to you the most' or simply 'the watch you like most for xyz reasons but is going to be difficult to acquire'? Personally, I could consider the Tudor Submariners as grail watches, in so much as they meet my needs functionally and aesthetically, and I feel their dial details make them better (in my opinion) than similar watches, like the 5513, 1680, and way better than the 16610, which I feel was actually a backward step in terms of dial visibility. However. If I was to consider a watch 'grail' based on it's extreme difficulty to acquire, then I would have to class my personal grail watch, as the GMTIIcSubDweller bastardizat- er, I mean 'hybrid' ( :whistling: ) I've wanted to build for well over a year now. To me, that's a grail in so much as it's not just the hunt to acquire the parts, but also the intended result, which will be a totally custom, one-of-a-kind unique watch. Best of luck on your quest :victory:

In my experience, all you can do is research the hell out of the 5514 (google, tz, vrf, etc), so you have a firm target in mind. Then, buy the best parts you can find (at the time) & be prepared to be replacing parts as better parts come along. The rest can only be answered by you.

I think I will take this longterm. Will start with a custom white dial from yuki, which takes till end of next month (which is totally fine for me)

During this time I could make up my mind if I want to spend another 600$ for the case and start collecting money.

After that I can hunt down the right movement, this is the point I am always confused of, slow beat, fast beat, asian, ETA...

Only down side is that I will never change any parts for gen parts, besides maybe the crystal, as those parts are reeeeeeaaaally expensive and actually it would be a shame to buy them and build them in a franken...

BTW: 4:1 told