When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Responsiveness of the balance

Rolexman

So here's the story.

I've been servicing different movements for over a year now. From handwinds to automatics and chrono's. I learned a lot from this and other forums but the real expertise came after attending a watchmakers course for half a year. So the basics were set and by practicing (a lot) I'm proud to say I know my way around movements pretty good these days.

So what's the problem? After servicing my movements I find the responsiveness of the balance to slow. IMO all the angles are covered: No over-oiling, right places, right oils etc. Also the regulation of the beat and rate afterwards is perfect (WatchMaster

Thanks Andy. The barrel is clean and greased (2824 in this case). Strange thing is you can see the gear train moving immediately when you turn the crown. Thus I can see the escape wheel pushing against the pallet fork. The balance wheel just doesn't start up at the same time. Maybe my Vibrograph is off?...

About 7 turns seems to be about average for me on winding Eta movements too. I have had both a cheap Miyota movement, a gen Seiko and a couple of other 21j movements that seem to spring to life immediately after picking them up and starting to wind them. I can't answer the question "why?", but it seems to be normal.

Did you peg out the balance jewels? Could have a little varnish built up in the jewels causing just enough friction to hold it back until you get more power to it.

I did a Gen VC about 4 months ago, with no power on the main spring I rotated the watch 90 degrees, that little movement of the rotor was enough to fire her up. It was amazing. The difference between your run of the mill ETA movements and a movement that has every staff, machined edge, and friction point hand polished to a mirror finish!!! And people wonder why watches cost what they do.

Did you peg out the balance jewels? Could have a little varnish built up in the jewels causing just enough friction to hold it back until you get more power to it.

I did a Gen VC about 4 months ago, with no power on the main spring I rotated the watch 90 degrees, that little movement of the rotor was enough to fire her up. It was amazing. The difference between your run of the mill ETA movements and a movement that has every staff, machined edge, and friction point hand polished to a mirror finish!!! And people wonder why watches cost what they do.

Thanks for your insight BM. Indeed I cleaned the balance caps and freshly oiled them. Could be the fresh oil that is cousing some friction? It would be rather strange however because it is according to spec with Mob.9010. There is indeed a big difference between movements.

Thanks for your insight BM. Indeed I cleaned the balance caps and freshly oiled them. Could be the fresh oil that is cousing some friction? It would be rather strange however because it is according to spec with Mob.9010. There is indeed a big difference between movements.

Could be that the oil has not had a chance to distribute around the balance staff. I have done it before, where I put oil in the center of the cap and I do not place the cap right in place the first time causing the oil to move to the jewels edge. This was evident on the timer when gravity pulled the balance down to the jewel. The amplitude and timing was off. Looked at the jewel under a loop and could see the oil was not around the balance staff 100%. Reoiled the jewel and the issue went away.

9010 is correct...after a fresh service I will run the watch for a day in different positions before adjusting the timing. Just to let things settle in. I have heard idfferent opinions on this...I just do what works for me.

Serviced my gen Pam movement today. Amazed at how its rate and amplitude when almost exact in every position unadjusted. :thumbsupsmileyanim: