When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO - Swiss ETA or Asian 2824-2?

Mikey2008

Omega clan,,, :pardon:

I want your opinion on this. I recently bought a UPO Swiss ETA (SS bracelet, white txt on blk) and like it so much that I want to buy another but on a rubber strap. Now I payed waaayy more ($350+) than I should had for my UPO so now I'm shopping around.

Question is,,, should I settle for another Swiss ETA (approx $280) or Asian Close 2824-2 (approx $230)?

Many owners believe dealers are sending Asian clones anyway as you can hardly tell the difference. The dials, hands, casing, crystal etc are exactly the same, only mvt differs. Even my current dealer is advising to go with the Asian.

What's your take on this? I've searched past threads and this has never been addressed.

thx Mike

Quality wise both movements are 99,9999% the same. Most of the time both versions are dirty and badly oiled, regardless if it's a Swiss or clone. Also the Swiss ones are often used movements. As the UPO has a closed case back and you can't see the movement anyway go for a clone! Have it serviced and you have a very reliable rep!

If you want another one just to be on rubber, why not just buy the strap and a spring bar tool???

If it's a UPO it'll accept a gen strap.

Alternatively get the best rubber starp version that fits the UPO.

Unless you want a different dial and bezel colour combination UPO that is....

I service ETA's and clones on a regular base and IMO every extra buck for an ETA is throwing away money. The Chinese are doing a prety good job on those clones! In many cases the clones are even better then the (old stock) ETA´s. Please let's kill the myth ETA is better than clones. . . A Swiss seller on Ebay is selling clones as gen ETA for crying out loud. That´s how good they are :lol:

Edited by Rolexman

good news,,, i managed to get a used 'as new' UPO on rubber strap + extra dial for approx $180. Also its sold as a Swiss ETA :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nice pick up Mikey - sounds a steal!

Got the clone in my UPO and never misses a beat (only one year old) and I swap between rubber (standard on black bezel/white face), SS and leather/deploy. The head sits so nice on a leather deploy - tones the size down a little when compared with rubber.

I would like to find someone in the UK who could waterproof my version for normal swimming - any ideas guys?

I am finding more and more UPO reps that I have been servicing lately actually have Sellita SW200 movements in them. Been difficult getting parts from my supplier for the SW200 right now as no one has sales rights Sellita parts.

Don’t kid yourself about the clone movements. They may look the same and be over oiled, but I have seen a lot of issues with jewel setting, screw heads breaking, reversing wheels being gummed to hell, components being ill manufactured and parts breaking due to sketchy materials. Ever instance I have had with a clone movement failure, I have never seen or expected with a ETA. Until the Chinese start getting some type of QC standard for the clones they are building, the ETA's are superior in materials and overall quality.

I'm with you on the lousy QC but overal I never had any problems with clones which I didn't encounter with ETAs at some point. I do however am talking about ETAs in our reps which are assembled in Asia, not the 'genuine' Swiss assembled ones. I have seen many ETAs with dirt and debri, as well as bad reversing wheels and jewels just falling out of the plate. Sure you can see some finishing differences on many parts but in most of the cases they don't cause technical problems. It's purely an aesthetical difference. Just my 0.02

:victory:

For the most part I agree with, but I have had some finishing elements cause issues in the gear train, erratic rates and amplitudes, really just a poor beat due to balance staffs and gear trains looking fresh of a lathes with grooves I could feel with tweezer tips. No polishing or finish work done. :bangin:

Just my take on this - I have never bought replicas before. I'm still deciding and cashing up to find one I like! But I won't pay the extra for a ETA.

First of all the watch isn't genuine - so what chance is there that the movement would be genuine? I have seen many replicas on here that do have genuine ETA movement. But I'm not sure that a replica watch would have this sort of movement... Secondly - how will I ever know? I'm just going to wear the watch and maybe one day send it to a trusted person to service it. I probably would of got bored of the watch and bought a new replica before it breaks down on me.

And finally, I've read too many people buy the ETA versions and find out they get a clone! I would rather accept that my watch isn't a Swiss watch. And just buy a clone. After all, the watch is a clone!

If I want a Swiss-movement watch - my watch will be a genuine Swiss watch.

Just my two cents!

Quality wise both movements are 99.9999% the same. Most of the time both versions are dirty and badly oiled, regardless if it's a Swiss or clone. Also the Swiss ones are often used movements. As the UPO has a closed case back and you can't see the movement anyway go for a clone! Have it serviced and you have a very reliable rep!

Well put, Rolexman!

I service ETA's and clones on a regular base and IMO every extra buck for an ETA is throwing away money. The Chinese are doing a prety good job on those clones! In many cases the clones are even better then the (old stock) ETA