When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yachtmaster Bezel

RobbieG

Something I meant to post years ago just occured to me again and I thought I would post it for the potential benefit of future YM rep buyers. Factory owners routinely patrol these boards for ideas so maybe one might see this who knows...

Many know I own a genuine Rolesium Yachtmaster but I have had several reps over the years. On thing I never understood was the factories more complex and naturally flawed choices for the bezel construction. Most saavy watch lovers know that the Rolesium YM has a dial made of solid Platinum and the latest reps have done a fairly decent job of replicating the color and texture. But many incorrectly assume that the YM has a bezel insert of solid platinum set in a SS bezel. All genuine YM bezels are milled from a single solid piece of precious metal - in the case of the Rolesium watch platinum and the others in yellow gold.

What I never understood was why the makers chose to use an insert system in the reps since it would be a lot easier to just mill a solid bezel making the rep more correct. Of course I know the answer which is that they want to use the same bezels as in Subs and GMTs and just have a YM insert. But with all the latest greatest super reps I think it would be cool if they made that change. It is one of those minor details but we all have our pet issues right? The gen bezel interior is very flat and all the reps I have ever seen have this sort of raised angle to the insert that could be easily corrected. Sure, it will never have that top heavy weight that the gen has (yes, believe it or not the dial is fairly thick and that plus the one piece platinum bezel really does add a LOT of weight to the top of the watch - much more than you would think...)but it would be much flatter and more accurate without that seam around the edges of the insert.

I realize many don't really see the difference - to each his own. But I just thought I would put that out there in the interest of future improvements for all. The WM9 version is so good now there isn't much farther to go.

Now if we could just get Rolex to make an improvement of their own - put the Daytona clasp on the thing already and get rid of that GMT clasp please... :bangin:

What I never understood was why the makers chose to use an insert system in the reps since it would be a lot easier to just mill a solid bezel making the rep more correct.

The why don't they question gets asked everyday. The answer is the same.

Because they don't care and don't have to.

Well Fakey the answer isn't always the same. They absolutely do care and they obviously feel they do have to. Otherwise we would never have the super reps we do have. The hyper sensitivity to details drives the high end of the industry and ground zero for that stuff is these boards. They listen and patrol these boards and that is where the multiple improved version spawn from. Why else would they remake say, a Planet Ocean several times? The "why they don't" question is rhetorical obviously. I'm making the post hoping those very people might notice yet another item not for me, but for the benefit of others.

No really they don't care. They are in the money making business. I know people on the fora love to believe we are relevant but for every rep sold on the boards 1000 are sold to tourists in South America and the Middle East. That is where their bread is buttered and that is who they cater to. As far as the high end models go sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. And if they decide to change something as a result of input from us, it will be if it convenient for them meaning after the thousands of parts they have on hand are gone and it's time to make another run. But your right. It doesn't hurt to mention it.

That's an interesting point you make, bro, after all, the insert for my YM was a solid piece of 3D metal, and I do remember reading once about someone being embarrassed when the insert dropped out of their watch while having a coffee with friends... Really need to get myself a new YM at some point, they're such easy watches to wear :)

That's an interesting point you make, bro, after all, the insert for my YM was a solid piece of 3D metal, and I do remember reading once about someone being embarrassed when the insert dropped out of their watch while having a coffee with friends... Really need to get myself a new YM at some point, they're such easy watches to wear :)

If anyone would do it WM9 would be the one. Certainly not practical to mill a solid insert-less bezel for one watch. But then again nothing that is done on any of these super reps is practical. They obviously go to all the trouble cause there is a big enough perfection crazed market out there. Anyway, that is about the last improvement that could be done on that watch as it is otherwise very good.

If anyone would do it WM9 would be the one. Certainly not practical to mill a solid insert-less bezel for one watch. But then again nothing that is done on any of these super reps is practical. They obviously go to all the trouble cause there is a big enough perfection crazed market out there. Anyway, that is about the last improvement that could be done on that watch as it is otherwise very good.

I agree, from the dealer-level point of view, it wouldn't be worth it, as it is unlikely that many people would buy a solid bezel watch for a higher price, when they can simply order the cheaper version and Araldite the insert into place if need be. However, someone like Yuki or MY might get a solid bezel made to be sold as an upgradeable part to modders who really do strive for 1:1 accuracy :)

"But many incorrectly assume that the YM has a bezel insert of solid platinum set in a SS bezel. All genuine YM bezels are milled from a single solid piece of precious metal - in the case of the Rolesium watch platinum ."

Wrong <_<

post-375-091233900 1278677492.jpg

Jocke few years ago proved bezel is in 2 pieces ..

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/plat.htm

Edited by pismo

"But many incorrectly assume that the YM has a bezel insert of solid platinum set in a SS bezel. All genuine YM bezels are milled from a single solid piece of precious metal - in the case of the Rolesium watch platinum ."

Wrong <_<

Interesting link, thanks for the info :good: It might be a case of Rolex machining the two parts to incredibly tight tollerances, heating the bezel, cooling the insert, putting them together, then letting them return to ambient temperature, and using the contraction/expansion effects to create a very tight 'bond' between the parts :)

Speaking of Yacht-Master...

I like it, it's a cool watch. The "Noob" version of YM is actually pretty damn nice. Of course not quite as nice as the WM9, but a very, very solid replica.

I got this from Narikaa for $95 (I recall). One of the best budget ones that I've seen.

The dial was really well executed on that.

1a-1.jpg

If you can still get this Asian version, it's a great watch for money. I'm not sure if they ruined it with the bad rehaut engraving though. Most new Noob watches have that (unfortunately).

Wrong <_<

I'll be damned. That is why I love this place. You guys are f'n insane! In any case, the portion of the bezel I would be interested in if I were a rep collector is the top of the bezel of course where if it is two pieces certainly doesn't look as if it is. The point being of course the reps very obviously have an insert system. Even now that I see this two piece phenomenon, I wouldn't call that part of the gen bezel an insert... :drinks:

Speaking of Yacht-Master...

I like it, it's a cool watch. The "Noob" version of YM is actually pretty damn nice. Of course not quite as nice as the WM9, but a very, very solid replica.

I got this from Narikaa for $95 (I recall). One of the best budget ones that I've seen.

The dial was really well executed on that.

1a-1.jpg

If you can still get this Asian version, it's a great watch for money. I'm not sure if they ruined it with the bad rehaut engraving though. Most new Noob watches have that (unfortunately).

Yes it is. The dial in particular was really great on that watch. And of course you can't beat the price...