When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

just got a vintage exp II and bond sub from Josh

what2

I really like the explorer, the bracelet is about the closest I have seen to a real rolex folded link oyster, and just as much a pain to change the size. A quick run through coffee grounds with the dial and hands and it will be nice. I like how the date wheel comes with a "pre-aged look"

I expected to like the bonds sub more, but I think I am more impressed with the exp 2 than I thought I would be, might let the bond go if it does not grow on me. Pictures later, on my way to hockey

I would, but it is in pieces as I have started the ageing process. The folded link bracelet is about 90% there to being a rolex orig, the design seems exact as I compared it to a couple of gen rolex links I have laying around and the appearance is pretty much the same and the design is more or less exact. The rolex do have an edge in "finish" as the edges are sharper and a bit more ragged on the rep bracelet. The steel is a little different in that they links are a bit springier than a gen and harder to open and close when adjusting the size. The good thing is that once you twist, turn and pull it for a while it gets that old about to fall apart look I am after. Only real difference is that the rep comes with highly polished sides on the links, but a 220 sanding block took care of that.

The case is very nice, with a substantianal gasket on the back, and two in the crown and tube. The crystal is a press fit, around the outside of the lip of the case, and not going anywhere. I had planned on taking the crystal off and the epoxy it back on, but even pretty good pressure on the case press will not pop it off. The movement is even held in by two screws and plates, with a brass spacer ring.

My basic opinion is that I bought the watch for the look, but when I took it apart came away very impressed with the construction and attention to detail. I have been beating up the case and bracelet, working on the bezel for the aged look, tomorrow I am going to bake and coffee the dial and hands and hopefully get it back together and working.