When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A suddenly stationary oscillating weight

t0t0_b0y

Hello guys,

I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced a time when the supposedly freely moving weight on your automatic watch just suddenly stopped moving?

It is happening to me now and the weight on my watch does not move. But after I gave it a little jerk, it moved slightly and then it stayed still again.

Does anyone knows why might it happen? Lack of lubrication? or any other reasons?

Thanks in advance guys.

Regards,

Harry

Most likely, the auto-wind module requires cleaning/oiling, as does the rest of the movement. The movements in rep watches are, for the most part, used &/or unserviced, so it is quite common to see problems out-of-the-box. Options are (in recommended order) contact the seller for instructions, have a local watchmaker overhaul the watch or, if you have the required tools/skills, fix it yourself.

Another possible cause i have had in the past are loose movement retaining screws as they sit in the path of the rotor so if one is loose it will be stopping the rotation, what watch and movement is it, can you post a decent photo of the movement?

Another possible cause i have had in the past are loose movement retaining screws as they sit in the path of the rotor so if one is loose it will be stopping the rotation, what watch and movement is it, can you post a decent photo of the movement?

And by loose he doesn't mean floating around in the movement. Sometimes they are just not tightened down enough and can cause interference with the rotor.

Most likely, the auto-wind module requires cleaning/oiling, as does the rest of the movement. The movements in rep watches are, for the most part, used &/or unserviced, so it is quite common to see problems out-of-the-box. Options are (in recommended order) contact the seller for instructions, have a local watchmaker overhaul the watch or, if you have the required tools/skills, fix it yourself.

Thank you for the suggestions freddy! :)

I've contacted the seller and I've sent it back for examination.

I'm sorry I forgot to take pics before I sent it back

Thank you for the info and knowledge shared guys. :)