When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New 3646 Strap

Finepics

Well here is the next phase of my 3646 project. My good friend Rob Ross (of the Metta leather) has just sent me the pics of my new vintage strap that he has made for me. This leather is over 60 years old and crucially so is the thread that has been used to stitch it, which is very different from the modern threads and really adds authenticity to the period. Rob has also paid a lot of attention the the photos I sent him and has used a typical period pattern of stitching which means the stitches are a little closer together than the modern straps.

Basically this is about as good as a strap could possibly be. Note how straight the stitching is - I am absolutely thrilled to bits with his workmanship and cannot wait until I get this on my wrist to add a few wrinkles to the leather!!! Thanks Rob for your hard work with this. If anyone else working on a similar project wants one of these (he will custom make them to your specs) then email him at robertross04@aol.com

120736-21654.jpg

120736-21655.jpg

@V - it was a real coincidence that I came across him by accident and only because I had seen your metta strap did I realise who he was!! I have since become very good friends with him although I have still to meet him sometime. He is a really very nice guy and we have so much in common that I joke with him that we are almost clones!!! It's funny he was almost on the point of giving up his leather work completely but the straps have re-enthused him to carry on and I am so glad he has as his skills are very rare and he is totally self taught. He went to a lot of trouble for me in finding the right piece of leather for this and I cannot thank him enough. So V I am very glad you were wearing that strap when we met up otherwise I might never have had this beuaty!!! Thanks!!

@Marco - email him - I will speak to him on the phone tonight or tomorrow and will ask him for you but he might even read this post so may be waiting for your mail!!!

@Marco - email him - I will speak to him on the phone tonight or tomorrow and will ask him for you but he might even read this post so may be waiting for your mail!!!

@Mark - Got him! Waiting for his reply now... same kind of humor as yours.

BTW What are the dimensions on your strap?

Marco

@Mark - Got him! Waiting for his reply now... same kind of humor as yours.

BTW What are the dimensions on your strap?

Marco

I went for a 26/26 130/85. He will ask you to measure where you want the hole that you will do the strap up with so that it will fit perfectly and have holes in the right proportions. By the way this is what he modelled the strap on with regard to the colour of the leather and the stitch spacing (which was different in those days to the modern type of stitching).

121280-21542.jpg

Is the GPF-style buckle brushed, or 'raw'? I'm really tempted to go for an engraved one, but I'm not sure of it's historical accuracy for the project I'm planning. I take it that's not your compass?!

Actually that's somthing I had not noticed - thanks. They are brushed but in a horizontal direction - damn, wish I'd seen that sooner. Might still be able to correct it but not that worried. I think (correct me someone) that the engraved buckles were usually on the Kampfschwimmers or the 6152's and then not always.

Actually that's somthing I had not noticed - thanks. They are brushed but in a horizontal direction - damn, wish I'd seen that sooner. Might still be able to correct it but not that worried. I think (correct me someone) that the engraved buckles were usually on the Kampfschwimmers or the 6152's and then not always.

It was intended as fault finding - I'm actually deciding whether to go with the raw buckle for accuracy, or the brushed for aesthetics. The brushed actually looks better with the strap, I wouldn't change it!