When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Searching for the best Explorer II

-paul-

Can anyone give me advice on where I can get the best white dial Explorer II rep these days? All the photos I see seem to have gray frames around the markers instead of black ones. I'd also love to get one with the jumping hours GMT hand. I see that only in the correct hand stack versions but I'm concerned about the reliability. Is there anything really good out there?

I appreciate any advice.

No, there is not a good white dial Explorer II replica.

And why would you want a "jumping GMT hand" version? The gen has a jumping hour hand, not GMT hand.

This was the best Explorer II available (the black dial version) but I heard it's no longer in production.

All the white faced Explorer ii currently have gray surrounds. And the Incorrect/Wrong HS are a more reliable movement.

The closest reps are the old school Noobfactory models that are no longer produced (still have gray surrounds); however these will accept gen dials if you can source one. The black dial models are extremely close, if BK still sells them he has excellent quality.

I have one of each; also purchased a white with gen dial but it is most likely seized by customs because USPS has held it for 11 weeks at NY point of entry.

Good luck, they are great watches and unless someone holds your white dial up close and personal, and they know exactly what to look for, they will never know and you will have a great watch for $200-300.

Here you go, buy a gen for $2595!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Explorer-II-Stainless-Steel-w-Rolex-Papers-/200499119454?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2eaeadc55e

I've bought a couple of gens from this seller. My only gripe is that she removes the bracelets and sells them separately!

A '97 tritium dial should still glow well at nite.

house of souvenirs has a very nice and very cheap one, too. I think I paid $98 for my asian movement one. I took it to my trusted watchsmith that works at the AD and even side by side they were hard to tell the different without getting down to the nitty gritty. On the wrist you really can't tell. And even up close only someone that has intimate knowledge of the hand stacks, the spring bars, etc are going to be able to tell them apart.

I'll try to post some pics. And the thing with the gray surrounds on the hour markers... mine look black. not as dark as the hour markers, but still look black to me. ::shrugs::

I will try to snap a couple pics with my phone cam and post them real quick....

Here are a couple of pics....

2010-07-24%2014.36.55.jpg

and a wrist shot....

2010-07-24%2014.36.11.jpg

Great watch at a great price. There were a hand full of speed bumps to get it here, but it all worked out in the end. Actually took him sending me three before I got a good one. The first one showed up DOA, he immediately shipped a 2nd after I emailed him a tracking number of returning the one I had back to him.... 2nd was caught by customs, and he immediately shipped out a 3rd, which got here. Took almost 2 full months (give or take a few days) from payment to watch on wrist..... but as they say... that's part of the rep game. (though I do not share that same belief)

He got a little slow at returning emails towards the end... but he did deliver. So buy at your own risk. This is not an endorsement of his services, but only the product he provided.

Edited by robmpulse

Yup, no decent rep out there. Agree with Alligoat, that the seller is reputable -I ended up buying a gen 16570 from her too since there aren't any great Exp II reps.

Here you go, buy a gen for $2595!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Explorer-II-Stainless-Steel-w-Rolex-Papers-/200499119454?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2eaeadc55e

I've bought a couple of gens from this seller. My only gripe is that she removes the bracelets and sells them separately!

A '97 tritium dial should still glow well at nite.

My '93 actually has some glow left to it....

DSC_2176.jpg