When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Pam Reps Water Ressitant?

Guest watchboy

Not to burst anyone's bubble but as regards water resistance a watch is a watch. If the watch is reasonable quality (i.e. has appropriate gaskets) and it is properly serviced (everything tightened and greased) it will be water resistant. The real issue with reps is that you have no idea of the quality control when they were assembled. So if you have a better quality rep that you want to take swimming take a portion of the 80-90% savings from buying a rep and invest in a servicing. I swim (not deep sea dive) with all my serviced reps. In my experience the gens do not fare any better than the reps (and this is based on various Rolex, Breguet, Breitling Ap, Cartier, etc. I have owned over the years). And when the gen leaks the repair bill has typically been horrifying. :)

Having said all that you can always buy a rubber sports watch and save yourself the worry. :D

I bought my first Pam....... an Arktos w/7750b. Anybody ever try swimming or showering w/ one of these? Would that be Pamacide? Are there any mods to waterproof it?

I believe reps are not water resistant, unless you have some mods done.

You don't want to wear your beloved Pam on the beach/pool/sauna, etc.

There are dealers out there selling pre-modded watches, and pro modders.

I always liked Eddie's take on the 300m watches. They will survive a 300m dash in moderate rain. I have always wondered how the pressure testers work, though. How do you test a watch without risking damage if it fails the test? Incompetent minds want to know.

I always liked Eddie's take on the 300m watches. They will survive a 300m dash in moderate rain. I have always wondered how the pressure testers work, though. How do you test a watch without risking damage if it fails the test? Incompetent minds want to know.

Because when you are tesing a watch for waterproof, You remove the watch from under water, before the watch can be damaged!

I believe reps are not water resistant, unless you have some mods done.

You don't want to wear your beloved Pam on the beach/pool/sauna, etc.

I've bought a PAM005 from Joshua with 5ATM serviced.

I've tested it this summer about 30m dive :fish: : it still working :D

And i definitly want to wear my PAM on beach, pool, sauna, etc...

It's kind of frustrating to spend $500 on a machine, and a lot of money on watches, and then invest the time to test this watches in that machine, only to see this same issue brought up again and again with people arguing with great conviction that reps aren't waterproof, and nobody seeming to recall all my prior posts.

post-223-1158996063_thumb.jpg

post-223-1158996102_thumb.jpg

post-223-1158996134_thumb.jpg

post-223-1158996178_thumb.jpg

post-223-1158996208_thumb.jpg

post-223-1158996227_thumb.jpg

post-223-1158996254_thumb.jpg

ALL of the watches I tested were watertight to 5ATM - the vast majority were watches I got from Joshua.

A couple of the gens I tested were not watertight.

I am a Divemaster, I quit logging hours at 3000, I live in SW Florida, I own my own boat and I wear my "Perfect Sub" and "Perfect SD" diving all the time.

Bill

If someone wants to do a quick test to see if a watch " leaks".......

Place the watch in the sun and get it hot.

Immerse it in cold water in a glass.

If you see bubbles coming from the watch, remove it from the water (quickly)... it leaks!

If you don't see any bubbles, you can reasonably confidently wash your hands with the watch on ( if you want to!) You can probably swim with the watch on, but from here on all bets are off.

I have had a dive watch, which had been tested to 20atm (660 ft) leak... no wrong, fill up! at around 180 ft.

And it had only been tested in the week preceding the dive.

IMHO, if a watch tests @ 3 atm, it is as " waterproof" as it will get. Any leaks which happen above this pressure will probably be more to do with the case " moving" than seals not holding.

Anyone wanting more waterproofing info, should read Henry B Frieds' "The principles of waterproofing watches" ( Library of Congress catalogue Card No. 62-14817)

Offshore.