When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen tube on a BK Transformer

Cats

"...I should have remembered that the gens were tapered."

Modern 7.0mm tubes like in your picture rely mainly on a plastic gasket that is compressed against the tube and case for sealing. You can see the ledge just above the taper where the plastic gasket mounts.

The taper on the tube offers quite a bit of sealing but it also offers an 'area of friction' that allows the tube to bind against the case so the tube will stay tight.

Larger 7.0mm crowns exert quite a bit of twist on the case tube when tightened down so there is aways the chance the crown and tube will unscrew.

Genuine submariner cases are precision cut for the plastic gasket where replicas are hit or miss...usually miss. Many times when you use an oem spec 7.0mm case tube along with the plastic gasket on a replica, the case tube will not seat properly and the crown will bottom out too far away from the case when screwed down.

The crown sits too far from the case = 'highjacker' crown.

The crown bottoms out against the case = 'low rider' crown. :lol:

As for whether simpler 5.3mm and 6.0mm tubes will seal better on replicas compared to 7.0mm tubes...they are hit or miss too but the silver sealing gasket helps most of the time.

I use ThreeBond 1194 on replica tubes just to be sure.

http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/product/series/sealants/productdetails/1100/1194.html

Thanks guys.

@ Star69 still need some funds for the gen insert but it will come in time.

@redwatch if i'm not mistaken it the 24-603 crown with the 24-5003 tube

I'll digg into it cuase i still have the purchase order some where.

Thanks for the nice remarks

can't wait till it comes home.

Carpe Diem

Cats

@Cats: Gen inserts have stupid prices on Ebay. They charge 40 Euros for it on the AD and 150 on Ebay.

Good alternative is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=170519504819&Category=57714&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

I used these on my Transformers. They require sanding but look very nice. Colors are quite accurate.