When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally, Wm 1680 In Its Beauty

abakan

Thank you! Mods include:

generic tube with genuine crown, 21,600BPH movement, drilled lugholes and rounded up sharp edges on the case, slightly modified crownguards, genuine T127, generic bezel insert with stripped gloss (used matte look :)), 20mm springbars.

@lionsandtigers, thank you for a compliment. You're right, lugholes have pretty noticeble bevel which initially I thought was a disaster. I used diamond bits with the tip looking like a ball, slightly bigger than a lughole. I used slow speed drill to just simply shave off the sharp edges of the holes. The problem here was they didn't look good to me, so I kept working on them untill it was almost too much. Later when worked around the case with the file and a dremel tool it all smoothed out and gave this reconditioned look ( not too much though) which I presently like and don't feel like changing. Word of caution: before you drill lugholes, try to bevel them just a bit with either bits like I described or a bigger size drill bit. The reason for it is I found that when you drill the case you may see some of the metal in the case may shift towards outside right around a hole, making it look like a crater from volcano. Then later it's harder to bevel this, not impossible, but just harder, especially if you do it hand held. It may not apply to everyones doing. I use hand held drill with cobalt bits, fine diamond shaping bits, dremel tool. If you have a question, shoot me a PM.

right on bro. i think it looks great!!!! i love that slight bevel.

when i did the lugs on my 1680, i noticed the same thing with the metal coming out a bit on the edges, so i use a small sand stone on my dremel to get it off, and it looks good, but yours came out alot more even, so i think on my next one (white 1680 mbw, arriving shortly) i will use the large bit before i start to open the holes a bit so the 1.3mm bit doesnt make the metal punch out, then i have to spend alot of time working the bits off with my needle files, which i will do anyway to make it all as smooth as possible.

ps, i used to have a les paul classic that looked just like that, now i just have to black standards and a 62 strat

again, nicely done, anyone got and gen inserts?????? :) :) :)

Thank you lionsandtigers! I would agree it looks good :) I prefer the grinding stone bits to make initial bevel just because i hold the drill with the hand, and when you use a drill bit it may start wandering around :wacko:

On the picture is Epiphone Les Paul, hopefully I'll buy it soon. Currently I am down to one spanish acoustic guitar, which I really like.

But before that I think I'll spend some on a good digital piano/keyboard. Will teach my son some music :harp::evil2:

I am looking for a gen vintage inserts too. I have couple vintage pearls that would fit original WM or MBW inserts, but they are too small for modern inserts (the hole is too big in those). So, for now, it'll be pearless :)

Onto the 1665 white now :victory: