When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Warning credit card skimming in Melbourne

paneristi_man

Hi,

Prob more relevant to my aussie mates but two days ago I discovered that my credit card details were used in fraudulent purchases.

I believe that the card was compromised when I used it at one of the petrol station. The card details ended up being used by someone to

purchase air tickets on the argentinian airlines.

The way they do it is once they get your card details they will put through a small online purchase to test out the card.

Days later the big purchase will kick in. I was lucky that the bank alerted me through SMS about the big purchase and

I was put through to the Fraud division. Luckily I don't have to pay for those transactions.

Few things to be aware of:

- It's currently happening in Melbourne, if you're in this part of the world try not using your credit card in the petrol stations or convenience stores.

- Check your credit card transactions regularly for any suspicious transactions.

p m

Yep, been big news up here in Bris lately too.

I got skimmed at point of sale in Tokyo at xmas time last year... They made a couple test transactions (3 bucks to a couple charities like British red cross) then the bank caught it as they tried to buy 15grands worth of lLadies clothes from Italy.

My bank (BOQ) were very good about it - they contacted me before i knew and less than half hour after the attempted 15grand transaction.

So I agree, even if you think you're being careful already... be even more careful.

my card was skimmed in perth a few weeks ago. The bank rang me instantly when the small transactions were made on my card. I ve had that number for years and now i have no choice but to memorize a new CC number.

This happened around the time I tried my credit card on Hont's credit card processor. My bank called to say someone tried to charge $5000, failed, tried $4000, failed, tried $3000, and so on until $1000 and gave up. Thankfully, I'm normally broke and my credit card usually closed to maxed out. I still got the card cancelled though. Not sure if it is related to Hont's credit card processor, though the timing seems quite coincidental... it could have gotten hacked.