When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FGD hands just out of the oven

Martyd3

This started out as a "how to" thread. I was looking for the best way to age a set of FGD Pre-V hands to get that creamy tritium color. I was going to use a strong tea bath or pack the hands in coffee grinds, but decided to "toast" them as Freddy suggested. I posted the results below.

Thanks.

Marty

Bake them in middle of your oven at 500 degrees for (up to) 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the oven & remove the hands the second they reach the desired color (the line separating beautiful & burned is very thin). For a darker color, apply a bit of iodine to the backside of the lume before baking. This is art, not science.

I've gotten some questions about "toasting" the hands, so I thought it would be easier to reply here. First, let me say that although nerve wracking, it was easy to do. As Freddy advised, I preheated the oven to 500 degrees, put the hands in a pie pan lined with foil and popped them in the oven. 10 minutes later got the creamy tritium color that I was trying to achieve. I'm not sure how it would work on other hands (especially those with a greenish tint), but on the FGD's, which are very white , it worked perfectly. I would not use a toaster over, as the hands would be very close to the element and could scorch or burn easily. You will also get a more consistent temperature in a full size oven.

Good luck and happy toasting :)

Marty