When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Bit Of A Rant

Finepics

I think this sucks as well... doesn't need to matter who the buyer was... whether it was finepics... or just any one of us here... it should be a first come first serve basis... and the seller should have had a bit more patience as not everyone lives on the forum... we all have our own lives as well...

but i guess in the end it is up the the person selling who he wants to sell to... and I guess he made a big mistake in this case... lol... wouldn't want to be in his shoes...

psst... finepics... I have one last piece left to my perfect 029 puzzle.... the datewheel! and then of course I will need all the parts installed and lumed and ar coated... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

and wan: you don't need to be sherlock holmes to find out what watch it was... ;)

Not PP's fault at all!! Thanks for all the kind words fellas - I'm not so mad now!!

Pleased to hear it. I don't want your hands to be shaking when you are doing my relume!! :D

The way the transaction was handled was [censored] though. I've always taken the attitude that first to reply will get the deal, but kept the next in line people informed that if the first person doesn't pay within a reasonable time or decides to withdraw then I'll let them know. Two working days local time is thow long I'll usually give the first person to pay, but you've always got to play that sort of thing by ear (extenuating circumstances - I'd trust some people over others if they say they've hit a financial crisis or whatever...)

Sure one day someone will scam me or waste my time because I play fair, but I'd rather do that than crap on someone and then become the subject of a thread like this...

Feel sorry for you that it broke your heart man, but it could have been me cuz I will buy it if I did not see you posted expressing interest and sounding like "I AM BUYING THIS ONE". I guess I am just lucky to deal wit Kostas, Maxmsu, Bignasty, Leitztozeis to name a few that they all agreed to wait for me at night when I get home from work to PP them the money cuz PP is blocked from work.

I think the most important thing we must take into consideration is the difference in timezone...

If someone says he will buy something you wait a 'full 24 hours' for the payment.. unless it is a friend of yours and close the deal with just saying it so and pay when you can ;)

Finepics,

I had a similar situation happpen to me last week. PM'ed an offer seller accepted, I tolds him in my return PM, couldn't paypal til next morning. Time of the initial response was about 10 or 11 PM CDT. I awoke the next morning turned on the computer and lo and behold, a message, "Sorry watch is sold" Someone else PM'ed me first. First come first served,etc. Well, I know I was first, because he accepted my offer, even gave me info on where to get a replacement crystal for the watch, which was cracked.

My problem with this seller is only this. If your policy is to NOT give a buyer a reasonable time to make a payment, then by all means write it in big bold letters in your return PM "Instant paymant required, I don't trust anyone, send me the money now or you will miss the sale" If that is the case, i would either pay as soon as I got the Paypal info or not say "I want the watch"

Maybe I'm a little different from some of the folks on the board, but when I tell someone "I want to buy your whatever" In my mind the deal is a done deal. I'm not going to back out. But obviously the old ways of doing deals are dead, now you need two Philadelphia Lawyers and a 20 page contract to get a deal done.

Possibly the moderators need to have some simple etiquette rules for the sales forum. the playing field needs to be level for everyone.

Finepics,

I had a similar situation happpen to me last week. PM'ed an offer seller accepted, I tolds him in my return PM, couldn't paypal til next morning. Time of the initial response was about 10 or 11 PM CDT. I awoke the next morning turned on the computer and lo and behold, a message, "Sorry watch is sold" Someone else PM'ed me first. First come first served,etc. Well, I know I was first, because he accepted my offer, even gave me info on where to get a replacement crystal for the watch, which was cracked.

My problem with this seller is only this. If your policy is to NOT give a buyer a reasonable time to make a payment, then by all means write it in big bold letters in your return PM "Instant paymant required, I don't trust anyone, send me the money now or you will miss the sale" If that is the case, i would either pay as soon as I got the Paypal info or not say "I want the watch"

Maybe I'm a little different from some of the folks on the board, but when I tell someone "I want to buy your whatever" In my mind the deal is a done deal. I'm not going to back out. But obviously the old ways of doing deals are dead, now you need two Philadelphia Lawyers and a 20 page contract to get a deal done.

Possibly the moderators need to have some simple etiquette rules for the sales forum. the playing field needs to be level for everyone.

Look man, I'm truly very sorry that had to happen.

I recieved 6 or 7 PMs on that DW Daytona. The person who got it, I got his PM within minutes. Yours was third or so. I responded to yours immediately, within minutes of recieving it, along with everyone else. I sent out PMs to all 3 people that my Paypal address was XXXX. I recieved person #2s payment FIRST, and I had to let both the others know that it was sold already, and offered apologies. You must understand that this is my way to do business, first come first serve, and unfortunately, you were at a disadvantage, but sorry it had to work out like that. I just feel that whoever's payment I recieve first, should get it. That's the problem here, you have multiple people interested in an item, and I have had dozens of flakes in the past, and when I contacted the others, they didn't want it anymore. I do not believe there was ANYTHING wrong with what I did, and other people may think otherwise, I understand.

End of rant, I just had to come to my defence. And no, I was not the person who did that to Finepics.

ok, so what happens when you receive two payments for one item? i know that you can refund through paypal but don't they take a percentage of every transaction ... whether it is a refund or not? please correct me if i am wrong. but if so, who gets the short end of the stick? it shouldn't be the buyer.

That has happened only once through dozens of sales. In that case, I just clicked the "Refund Payment" button on the Paypal page, and it's a done deal. No one loses anything, neither buyer or seller, Paypal does not take any percentage of the payment if a refund is issued.

I know, it's time to change my procedures up, as they may be a bit stupid, but I'm retiring from replica watches soon and returning to my Purist roots soon anyways. For genuines, I adopt a different policy, I choose whoever I want to sell to. I will give priority to Canadian buyers, well known members or people who have bought from me before, for the newbies, that's too bad. I can't risk a fake $20,000 Money Order, or a fraudulent wire transfer.

That has happened only once through dozens of sales. In that case, I just clicked the "Refund Payment" button on the Paypal page, and it's a done deal. No one loses anything, neither buyer or seller, Paypal does not take any percentage of the payment if a refund is issued.
thanks for the info ... i had always wondered about that!

Look man, I'm truly very sorry that had to happen.

I recieved 6 or 7 PMs on that DW Daytona. The person who got it, I got his PM first. Yours was third or so. I responded to yours immediately, within minutes of recieving it, along with everyone else. I sent out PMs to all 3 people that my Paypal address was XXXX. I recieved person #2s payment FIRST, and I had to let both the others know that it was sold already, and offered apologies. You must understand that this is my way to do business, first come first serve, and unfortunately, you were at a disadvantage, but sorry it had to work out like that. I just feel that whoever's payment I recieve first, should get it. That's the problem here, you have multiple people interested in an item, and I have had dozens of flakes in the past, and when I contacted the others, they didn't want it anymore. I do not believe there was ANYTHING wrong with what I did, and other people may think otherwise, I understand.

End of rant, I just had to come to my defence. And no, I was not the person who did that to Finepics.

I hope that you didn't think that I was accusing you of the deal with Finepics. All I said was I had a similar thing happen to me. I don't have the foggist idea who he was dealing with.

As far as The deal on the DW Daytona, I was just [censored] because you didn't say in your PM that it was first come first served, and I needed to do something right then and there. If that had been the case, I would have Paypaled you instantly. I was tired after a long drive and just asumed that it would be OK to wait til morning. My bad for assuming. But you know It may have worked out for the best. I took the money I was going to send you and bought Chronomat's White letter MBW 1680, which actually is a better fit for me anyway. I really think to make things clear in the future, you should put that "first come first served" disclaimer in your responses. that way you can glide right by the flakes.

And listen, I can appreciate where you are coming from. I'm not selling much now, but a couple of years back, I was "flipping" reps and genuines like crazy. The "tire kickers" just about drove me crazy. And it isn't just here and TRC either. try selling on TZ. You post a watch and within minutes you will have 15-20 emails all wanting more photos, will you trade for this or that, I really want your watch, but i need to sell two of mine, and can you hold yours for a week or two while I try to sell mine!! WRONG!! I'm sure all sellers have heard the stories. The worst are the "phantom buyers" They email you and tell you, "I WANT THAT WATCH" mark it sold. send me your paypal info, and I'll put the money in your account right away. Then you wait, and wait and wait some more, while legit buyers are emailing you wanting to know if the deal is still on , has the watch sold, etc. I always told buyers, you have 24 hours from the time of my response,( when I sent it, not when you got around to reading it) to have the money in my Paypal account. After that, It's to the next man on the list. I think that was fair and reasonable, especially when you are selling a 3-5k watch. Sometimes folks need to do a litle creative financing to make the deal. But I have experienced what you go through with selling watches. I cannot for the life of me figure out why in Hell someone will PM a seller, tell them that they want a watch or whatever, with absolutely no intention of going forward with the sale. Beats me.

Please don't misunderstand me, I didn't accuse you of accusing me of being in Finepics deal, I just didn't want others to misunderstand.

Yes, I will admit to fault on my part, and I am going to be changing my procedures, so that I will let the first person know there are people waiting in line, yada yada yada, and tell them payment is required immediately. I guess I have learned a lesson by having a angry customer. I am glad that it worked out for you in the end anyways, and I apologize again.

My most harrowing experience was selling my AP Offshore Rubberclad a few months back. 20-30 emails all showing interest. Somebody says "I'll take it, wait for the wire", 24 hours later, I ask about it, no response, but I still take his word for it, and let everyone else know. Then, the buyer just disappeared. This happened over 5 times before I was able to sell the watch. I originally had emails from well-known people offering to buy it, but with first-come-first-serve, I had no choice to deny them, and by the time my patience expired, they already bought somewhere else. This wasted almost 3 weeks, and my asking price was lowered almost $1000 before it was finally sold to a real buyer. My new policy now is, that I get to choose who I will sell to, and I don't care who came first. I just choose to hold the watch for the person who I know best. I'll admit, sometimes I get annoyed by "scan-fishers" who know what the watch looks like anyways, and I've given them images of papers, box, the back, front and sides reasonably well anyways. My most weird request was to take a video of the watch, which really irked me, as I felt he was nothing but a time-waster (I did it in the end, and he did end up being a time-waster).

Apart from any credit card transaction fees, and they're stuck with the cash in Paypal and not their account.

Apart from any credit card transaction fees, and they're stuck with the cash in Paypal and not their account.

Whenever I have paid with Paypal using my CC and then get a refund, I always get 100% of the money back and it goes back onto my CC not into my Paypal account.

If it goes into your paypal account and you lose money to fees it is because the person you sent money has not refunded the payment, but they have paid you back.

A coin has two sides.

When people say "I ll take it," they don't always mean that.

Unfortunately, there are buyers who

1. don't read. (Yes, it's a SWISS! )

2. disappear after saying I ll take it.. (so how long do you want me to wait. If you want it, you d better act fast.)

3. send 10+ PMs and ask one question in each PM. (Please, not that I don't want to answer your PMs, but keep all the questions in one PM. It's annoying to receive 10+ emails on your blackberry and have to logon the forum to answer your question.)

4. lowball after everything is confirmed. (When you say I ll take it, you mean you ll take it at the offer price. Why lowball me when everything is confirmed?)

5. can't make up their minds. (If you are still deciding which watch to buy, then please don't tell me I'll take it.)

Not complaining, but everyone who ve sold a watch here know about this.

If there is an obligation to sell to the first guy who pm, then I hope there is an obligation to buy when you say I ll take it.

This is the way I deal with it. If I know the one who first PM (those senior members,) I ll hold the watch for 12 hours as I know he will pay for it. Otherwise, I am going to sell it as first come, first serve.

Maybe the buyer can leave your AIM/ICQ/MSN. That will save a lot of time.