When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datewheel Overlay - Tutorial?

redwatch

Hi Guys,

In the process of doing some upgrades to my 1680 and I need to install a DW overlay. db2 mentioned using 10 minute epoxy so that you have some time to adjust it and center it. My concern is will the epoxy discolor or ruin the paper overlay in any way?

Is there any tutorials or top tips on how to install the overlay? Did a quick search that came up empty.

I use GS cement but i have used clear nail varnish in the past, you only need a couple of dabs to hold it. Any slow drying glue will do the job. what paper overly do you have? i would sugest testing it on a similar bit of paper first, all the overlays i have seen and used have been metal.

Paper? Like Fxr said, most I have seen were waterslide decals (or decal) that you peel and apply to a steel overlay, then glue the overlay to the existing DW. ?

If it is truely just paper, and you wish to apply to an existing DW, Rubber Cement or childrens Glu-Sticks might work.

I thought it was a decal/sticker when I first got it, but it appears to be thicker paper. Doesn't appear to pull apart like a sticker would. Glu-stick is an interesting idea. They don't dry right away and definitely wouldn't cause any problems with the paper.

if you are careful there is no reason to, you need to be able to put the overlay on fit the dial loosely and then quick change the date through 31 days to check it all lines up and also reposition before the glue drys,