When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN 24A Just arrived today

panerai153

My DSN 024A arrived today, and I have to say, while not being and expert on what's right and what's wrong with the PAM's of today, I am pretty impressed with this watch.

The case construction fit and finish are all very nice. the CG lever closes snugly, although I would be a bit happier if it was a little tighter. I've only had it for about 8-10 hours, so it's a little too early to tell what the accuracy will be.

I picked up a rubber strap and deployant buckle on Ebay,supposed to be genuine, but I don't know. the strap was sealed in a package from Officine Panerai, same exact color lettering and wording as one shown on one of the genuine PAM forums. So possibly it's genuine. I do know it's much softer than the one that came with the watch. I have some photos, so all you PAM experts let me know if I got my 66.00 USD worth for the strap and deployant.

Another thing, As soon as I got it home, I put it in my waterproof tester, and it passed at 3 atm.Now that certainly doesn't mean that I can use it on my next 60-75 ft. dive. What it does however, is give me a little peacer of mind that it is safe for hand washing and running through a heavy rainstorm.

Here are some photos taken today

20100810_17.jpg

20100810_04.jpg

20100810_06.jpg

20100810_07.jpg

20100810_11.jpg

20100810_12.jpg

24A looking good.Definitely another PAM on my wish list.

I think, PAM rubber strap you bought on Ebay is rep Ultimate Panerai rubber band

which comes in package like OEM. :)

Just new OEM rubber without deployant clasp you can find around $120.

This Ultimate PAM rubber is very close to gen,very soft and does not colect dust.

It's the best Pam rep rubber strap you can buy.

I even doubt that it is the Ultimate version. The ultimate version straps are a bit less soft than the normal straps is my experience. At least the strap on my pam156 ultimate was a bit harder than the normal soft ones. And that ultimate strap does not attract dust at all.

This one seems to attract LOTS of dust, according to the pictures. So I guess you got fooled and payed 66usd for a 40usd strap (excl. shipping).

edit: I hope you can still give negative feedback on ebay for selling a rep strap as gen.

That was the price of the strap plus deployant. they came together as a package. I'm seeing unmarked "PAM" style deployants selling on Ebay for around 100 USD, so maybe 66.00 for the strap and buckle wasn't so bad after all.

As for the dust, I suppose it does collect, but before the photos, I had it on almost all day, and I had been sanding a mirror frame, and had sanding dust everywhere. I blew off the dust as best I could, and wiped the watch down, but didn't wipe or wash the band.

I'm surprised the PAM guys over on Paneristi haven't gotten this guy's auctions taken down, if he's selling fake straps as genuine. Boy, his packaging looks very good. I compared it with a known genuine rubber strap package and his looks identical. At any rate. I really like the watch, and the strap is super comfortable, and I'm not a big fan of rubber straps.This one will do me just fine. I can't see spending 250-300 USD for a genuine deployant buckle and then another 120.00 USD for a strap to put on a 320.00 USD watch!

Only downside, the crown guard lever is not as tight as I would like. I plan to replace the crown with a "t" t48 and it is deeper dished, is that correct? Will that make the lever looser, because if it is any looser, it will not be secure. What is the fix for this problem? can you source replacement levers that have a little more depth to the bottom "foot", or would you have to replace the entire crown guard?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...