When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question For DW 6263 Owners

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I am still working on my 6263 project (thinking it will never end). I am waiting for some hands and a better dial from Mr. Wong but decided I could take it any longer. I mounted the dial and hands that I had just to keep me sane and see how it is going to look. I am pretty happy with the way that it is going so far. I have a question about the minute register on DW dials. I have the minute counter perfectly zeroed when the bottom pusher is pressed. The problem is that the minute counter hand starts to drift away from the ticks sometime after the 10 minute mark. It finally ends up being perfectly centered again when it hits 30. You can see what I mean in the two pictures. The hand is centered at 30 but is off by the time it hits 15. I was wondering if this is just the way his dials are printed or if this is something wrong with mine only. Please disregard the quality of the pics. I took them quickly with my phone and didn't blow off the dust. Thanks in advance!!!!

th_916f2ebb.jpg

th_bd0e04d4.jpg

There may be a few issues, all of which are common with rep watches (especially kit watches). 1st, it looks like the printing on the minute subdial is slightly askew. If you draw a line along the bottom of the 20 & 10, the 10 appears to be slightly lower than the 20. So the 15 minute tick mark at the 6 o'clock spot on that subdial could be off-center. 2nd, there may be some play within the chrono wheels that cause the hand to be slightly off at some points. 3rd, the hand wand may be loose on the hand tube, which is a common problem with reps, especially chronographs. Unfortunately, the only way to verify any of these possibilities is to have a watchmaker look the watch over.

Thanks for the quick reply Freddy. I know you have a lot of experience with the watches. I can tell you that there is no play in the hand and that it is firmly on the post. As far as play in the gear, I don't believe there is. It clicks ever the same every time and the minute jumper spring is in the same place throughout its range. I know it is just a rep, but might have to see what I can do about it. Thanks again!!!!!

Well, if the hand is solid, then there are only the 2 other causes for the hand to be correct in its null (12 o'clock) position yet off at the 6 o'clock position - either the subdial is printed inaccurately or the movement requires adjustment & I would say the odds are about even on both.

Simple solution is just to not use the chrono ;):lol: lol

Very good point.

Even though I used to worry endlessly about it (when I was wearing a non-functioning Daytona), I think it worth noting that in the more than 25 years that I have been collecting watches, no one has ever asked me to run my chrono to see if my watch is gen or not. Never. (I have only ever run them to verify that the functions worked.) Similarly, there have only been a couple of instances (2-3) over these many years that someone asked about or tried to call me out for wearing a fake (& in 1 of those instances I was wearing a gen & the person posing the question left with pie on HIS face :bangin: ).