When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scratched Fiddy Dial

thomasng

I know, I've been a member on here for over half a year, and even longer from the old RWG, but I don't know where to post this....

Does anyone have a new Fiddy dial they can sell me? Mine was scratched badly in an accident when removing the crystal, and I want to get this fixed after 1/2 a year sitting in the drawer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

How bad is the scratch?

For most scratches, you can spray a coat or two of clear varnish over the surface; this will conceal hairline and even moderate scratches.

Here is my 1665 dial- Note the scratch above the date window:

122002-21391.jpg

Here is the same dial- 2 coats of matte varnish on it. Scratch is concealed- Only slightly visible out of the case.

122002-21392.jpg

Once installed, the scratch completely disappears under the crystal:

122002-21393.jpg

So, before you write that dial off, might as well give it a try. If the scratch is more of a gouge (and is exposing base metal underneath), you can try filling in the scratch with a black sharpie, and then spraying the matte- The varnish will probably even things out on the color, though if you have something you can test this on prior, that would be the best way to go...

Hope this helps.

R

• 2 weeks later...
Yep used flat matte to fix a couple scratches in my 217 dial worked perfect, although the swiss turned blue but was almost invisible.

Then I decided I wanted a blank dial so I stripped it down to the brass and repainted flat black with 2 coats of flat matte.

I'm taking off the "california" on my 249 which will likely make some scratches, but now since this is such an easy fix, I'm not worried about it. Plus, I've found that the flat matte actually improves the overall look the dial almost giving it more texture.

I'm taking off the "california" on my 249 which will likely make some scratches, but now since this is such an easy fix, I'm not worried about it. Plus, I've found that the flat matte actually improves the overall look the dial almost giving it more texture.

As the 'California' text is outside the 'train track' it should be fairly easy to touch-up any scratches that you make, with matt black, before applying the varnish. The outer track should help to stop your eye from catching any detail on the edge of the dial. I recently had to touch up the edge of a matt black Seamaster dial and it is totally invisible through the crystal, even without any varnish.

Please post pics of the finished article.

"you can spray a coat or two of clear varnish over the surface"

Hey Guys, don't let the Swiss hanging out there. We are making the gen watches for you. WTF is varnish???? I [censored]ed up the dial of my 112 H

go to a hobby store ask for matte varnish spray (Its basically like a type of clear coat)... test on a piece of scrap metal first before spraying your dial... a light coat works best.

If you have a sandwich dial and dont want to keep any printing your best sanding it down to the brass and repainting with a flat black paint (flat is the easiest to work with). Make sure you seperate your dial from the lume backplate.