When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Ss Subs In The Usvi

davidk

Greetings Members

I just got back from The US Virgin Islands the other day. I spent a week there for vacation. One thing I noticed while I was there.. EVERYONE WEARS BLACK SS SUBS! I had to take off my rep because I kept getting called out on it. Everyone's gen had more shine to it and the case appeared to be bigger.

I know they have a Regatta called "The Rolex" but don't know much about it. Maybe these are prizes? I was sitting on the ferry from St Admin to St John and 5 people were wearing one. I thought it was funny to see scruffily dressed beach bums in torn up flip flops sporting this watch.

Does anyone have an explanation for this phenomenon? Are they cheaper there for some reason perhaps?

Thanks

David

Last year in Nassau, while my wife was shopping, I stepped into the Rolex store and looked at a 16610- $4000. At the time they were going for $4250 + tax here in the states. So you'd be saving $5-600.

If you sent your rep to someone like Joe and had him touch up the cg's, WP it and polish it, maybe it would look better!

Reminds me of the surfers who buy the subs w/ the 21j asian movements in them, send them to Joe for the WP treatment, and then go catch a wave! Surfing in style!

The lack of shine is definitely something that can be fixed with our reps. It is true the reps are 'duller' than the gens but they can be polished up nicely, especially the bezel and sides of the case. Also, do you think every person down there wearing a sub was wearing a gen? I've never been there so I can't say what kind of people are down there but we've all heard 1 in 10 are gen so...I can't imagine they were all gen. Even here in SoCal where there are tons of subs, it's a pretty sure bet most are fake! It's fun spotting them out.

The lack of shine is definitely something that can be fixed with our reps. It is true the reps are 'duller' than the gens but they can be polished up nicely, especially the bezel and sides of the case. Also, do you think every person down there wearing a sub was wearing a gen? I've never been there so I can't say what kind of people are down there but we've all heard 1 in 10 are gen so...I can't imagine they were all gen. Even here in SoCal where there are tons of subs, it's a pretty sure bet most are fake! It's fun spotting them out.

i agree 100% !

i wont remove my sub just cause the guy next to me has a gen ! :bleh:

once they see you wearing your sub in the water , snorkleing , beach / diving / pool they might think its gen :whistling:

that would help, but I am not sure it is enough. It could be my imagination but it seems to me the bezel and crown on the gen's have sharper cuts and are more reflective in bright lights and sunshine.