When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Was Bored At Lunch...

dcrooz

Yep, I was pretty bored at lunch time so I nipped down to an AD near to where I work. Initially I wanted to try on a nice retro looking automatic Longines (£500) which looked really cool, but was a bit too small for my wrist, or rather too small for my eyes as I'm used to looking at bigger watches! Then I got talking to the guy and he realised I knew a thing or two and we got on to Rolex. He noticed my PO (I am always VERY discreet with my reps in AD's btw and don't give them a good look) and said for a little more I could get a nice Rolex. So, anyway he sat me down and brought out the Explorer which is a beautiful watch. It felt lighter than I thought, but the finish and build quality were amazing. It retails for £2100, and he couldn't get me a ny further discount but oh boy - it is so tempting to just slap the plastic down on the counter! Fortunately I know I can't afford this right now so I headed out the door a happy man.

I guess the point here is that there isn't that much difference between our reps and the gens, but there is some difference.

I love my reps, and will continue to furnish myself money permitting from time to time, but, I think I might start saving......

I guess the point here is that there isn't that much difference between our reps and the gens, but there is some difference.

I love my reps, and will continue to furnish myself money permitting from time to time, but, I think I might start saving......

I think we are at the same place. I started out like "man, these things are great I never need a gen again" I ended up selling all of my gens and buying a pretty impressive collection of reps, most of which I have now sold off. I've been more and more into a balance between a few nice gens, my project watches and a few reps. If a rep feels the same as a gen, be thankful because you haven't become detailed and obsessive enough to notice the small things. I may even end up with another gen pam, something I thought I would NEVER do but I miss the absolute perfection and detail I had with it. Now, I just need to get my wife into this idea.

i was considering buying a gen sub & SD but i have a few friends with gen rolex & they let me examen there watches & i truly dont see a huge differance between a good eta sub & a gen sub , besides the usual depth of dial & CG'S ..

1 of my friends owns a tt blue face gen sub & has no idea of the mechanics of the watch ! :o

i asked him about the movement & power reserve & he looked at me like :brow: what the hell is a power reserve :g: .. but he fluants the watch like you wont belive :p .. i do think a gen blue face tt sub its a very beautifull watch :wub: you just cant compare the gen tt blue face dial with anything wev got here .

he boasts that his friend is a distributor for rolex usa & could get my a gen 06 sub for $2,500 :g:

but something in that story dont sound KOSHER to me thats why i wont give him $2,500 FOR A NEW SUB .

i just dont think that a distributor for rolex usa has that type of selling power :g: just not KOSHER to me .. :thumbdown:

i will remain with my trusted eta subs :victory:

I think we are at the same place. I started out like "man, these things are great I never need a gen again" I ended up selling all of my gens and buying a pretty impressive collection of reps, most of which I have now sold off. I've been more and more into a balance between a few nice gens, my project watches and a few reps. If a rep feels the same as a gen, be thankful because you haven't become detailed and obsessive enough to notice the small things. I may even end up with another gen pam, something I thought I would NEVER do but I miss the absolute perfection and detail I had with it. Now, I just need to get my wife into this idea.

Likewise.... the wife has to buy into it too!!!

I too have been contemplating picking up a gen. Last week, I was at home with my youngest daughter and although I may regret it in the future, I took her to the AD. (She's only 7 months old, so I hope it didn't make a lasting and expensive impression!) I took off my rep before heading in. I didn't want to try anything funny, just wanted to look closely at a few gens. I told the sales woman that my Eco-Drive died and that I was looking to upgrade. (Not a lie, my Citizen up and died. Still keeps time, but the date doesn't change at all. I've tried an all reset several times, but no luck! And no more Citizen's for me!) Anyway, I was really interested in the Explorer I and II. The EXP II has been my dream watch. All they had was a white dial version, the one I chased on RWG for a long time before settling on a black dial version. One concern on the white dial EXP II reps was the datewheel gap. The gen I saw yesterday had a gap as well, similar to what we've seen on the reps. I also looked at a TAG GMT and some Panerai.

These are my observations.

My rep Explorer is really close. The etched crown is a give-away as is the second hand. The second hand on the rep has a bigger bubble than the gen I saw at the AD. Otherwise, it is very close. I'm not commenting on movement or quality control or aftermarket support, but from a holding it your hand/wearing it on your wrist perspective, I simply do not see or feel a significant enough difference to justify the difference in price. I do agree the gen seemed a little lighter. The quality of my 2893 EXP II is awesome too. There are a few visual tells that it's a rep, but after handling the gens, I'm confident it won't get called out on my wrist unless I run into one of you guys! :p I should add that I'm no WIS. I'm sure more knowledgeable or discerning man or woman than me could tell.

One nice thing about collecting reps is that if I do go to buy a gen rollie, I will get the black dial Explorer II. I just like it so much better than the white dial version after seeing the gen in person. I'm glad I have had the opportunity to figure that out.

The real observation I walked away with is that our reps are pretty close! The finish is not as high, but I feel confident it is negligible when viewed on the wrist. I think when we are used to looking at pictures of watches blown up, the flaws jump right out. In person, it would take a fairly close inspection by a WIS to see them.

Now onto the Panerai. They didn't have a lot, but they did have a good mix-which I think works to our advantage. Even the sales woman mentioned their exclusivity. If not that many people have them, and not that many people know about them, then there are fewer people to call us out. Of course, those that do know about them and have them tendency to be very knowledgeable. Here's what I noticed. The H-series definitely has a thicker crown. I do not have and have never had an H-series rep for comparison, but on the gen that crown is thick! As for the others Gens, and this especially goes for the autos, the crowns are not all that noticeably thicker than what's on my 192 and my 2893 063. We have some incredible reps guys! The date font is much thicker on the gen, but we already know that. I feel confident that when my 063 is fitted with a new datewheel and cyclops, it could be worn into the AD or any social situation without concern. They did have a 184-radiomir style GMT that was simply gorgeous. When I break down and buy a gen, that will be it! I'm not a WIS, this is just what I noticed as an avid amateur appreciator of watches, reps and gens.

Climb on.