When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RXW on ebay...fake?

cougaree

Maybe I'm over my head. For some reason, this RXW MM20 doesn't look 100% genuine to me. The crown guard and crown look funny to me, also the kind of distortion seems wrong when I compare it with mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RXW-MM20-Marina-Militare-Pam-1950-style-/110581049281?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19bf24e7c1

What do you think? I can't believe the price for this going up so much!

I'm no expert, but it looks real to me. Mine looks same with the same document. Also, if you have a saphire x-tal there will be distortion on the edges, but if you have a mineral x-tal then there won't be any distortion. From what I've read, there are two versions, one with saphire and one with a mineral x-tal. I happen to have a saphire x-tal version and I have some distortion on the edges. Maybe some experts can chime in...

Mine also has sapphire crystal. When I put my watch at the same angle as the watch in the auction, the numbers (6 and 9) didn't look the same. That's why I suspected.

You maybe right. Again, I'm not expert. I didn't even know they had a knock off of a supposed "knock off".

There is one. I believe it was introduced last year. The only thing I could tell it's rep was the shape of the crown. The genuine one has flat top, whereas the rep has a little bit more round top. The sapphire crystal may have slight different shape maybe. Other than that, the only way you can tell is opening the case back.

I often wonder. Suppose someone bought a gen, and then bought a rep. He/she could put the rep for sale with all the gen packaging for the price of gen... Not ethical at all, but I could almost see someone would be attempted since the rep looked quite convincing.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a bit late but I am 100% certain it's a fake! painful experiece for the buyer but he should know about mm20 watches before pulling the trigger. Wrong box, no papers,m wrong caseback etc.

Btw I got one franken mm20 for sale over rg via Sead aka super mirror