When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Project 4: One Last Explorer

lhooq

Explorer Overhaul Part 2: 1016 Project 4 Revisited

1171144128_KECfF-X3.jpg

It's not easy being Project 4. Even though more money and more work was poured into it, the Explorer stayed in the shadow of its handsomer and more charismatic brother, the Project 3 Space-Dweller. So, like Avis, it must try harder!

But it's apples-and-oranges, really, and I'm not referring to the respective colors of their lume. The Space-Dweller is the overt "vintage" piece with smooth curves and that dome crystal, while the angular, 16203-based Explorer is the more timeless and discreet watch. I love both of these 1016s, and give roughly equal wrist-time to both of them. No, there is no favoritism in my house, and the mere suggestion of such is absurd. Ahem.

But I did feel that, while the Space-Dweller was a done deal back in August, there was always room for improvement on Project 4. If you read my OP, I was explicit about the areas I was unhappy with: The high-beat, Sea-Gull movement, which was nonetheless accurate and reliable; and the dial, which was an old-version matte dial from Yuki, refinished by Goin6633. It does seem a bit churlish for me to complain about it, now that decent aftermarket 1016 dials are so hard to find (which is a bit ridiculous--these are not complex dials to make!).

1171655028_LcXKm-X3.jpg1171654964_uRaef-X3.jpg

Dial by Rolex

If rep 1016 dials are hard to find, gen 1016 dials are rarer still. Not counting crappy "refinished" dials and examples with ridiculous Buy-It-Now prices, I think only three 1016 dials showed up for auction between July and December. Thankfully, I managed to get a hold of that last one. And then SEVEN showed up on VRF a week later! Bizarre timing, now I have my dial, and it is nice:

1171655423_8WCbh-X3.jpg

Other than the tritium migration -especially at 3 o'clock- the dial is in excellent condition. It's not a service dial, but an early-70s original, as indicated by the slab-serif font for 'ROLEX'. I chose this example for its clean surface and barely yellowed lume. The printing of the frog's foot coronet and ROPE text is actually less distinct than on a lot of rep dials. The SCOC text on the lower half is crisp, but subdued, something that has not been replicated by any aftermarket dial. Those usually go heavy with bold fonts and big serifs (which can also be accurate to certain gens).

1171656495_p95m4-X3.jpg

It's a beautiful dial, and the worst part of this build was having to snip its feet. I wish I had a 1570 for this build like Ubi does, so I could've kept the dial intact. (I also wish I had a 1570 so I could have a 1570!)

Movement by Rado

Chi's faux Tudor worked great in my Space-Dweller, so I thought I'd do something similar for P4. Here, then, is another ETA 2472, this one extracted from a Rado Purple Horse. Non-hacking, 18000bph, much like a 1560. So much better!

1171655631_dYZH8-X3.jpg

There’s still a couple of areas for improvement, though they’re not urgent. I would like to change the hands (on this and the Space-Dweller) to genuine Tudor units, since none of the aftermarket sources seem to be able to get Sub hands right. Maybe in another fifty years?

Also, while I’ve been a big fan of the cheap folded-link bracelet rep that came out last year, it falls short on several counts. I suppose this is as much a comfort issue as it is to do with visual accuracy, but I’d like to find a genuine 7836 for this build. But like everything else, they’re not cheap…

A couple more beauty shots for the road, then I think I’ll go look at the dial with a loupe for a while!

1171655780_HQQiV-X3.jpg

1171696139_9ynV2-X3.jpg

Big thanks to alligoat for his help in sourcing a very big part!

Stunning, just like the Space Dweller! Nicely done! I think a new set of hands and a gen bracelet will really make the difference on this one! My gen tudor bracelet is so ridiculously comfortable that I find I wear it almost all the time!! It really does make a difference in wearability.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This Explorer is coming with me for my Christmas vacation, while the real 1016 sits in the bank vault.  But don't tell anyone!

Really great Explorer´s Ihooq!

Have a nice Christmas Holiday and don´t forget to post a theme picture of the 1016 in Christmas "action"! ;)

• Like 1