When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BK Rocks! Just received DSSD...

mjmurphy926

The build quality is top notch.

The date wheel is awesome. This is something I'm very anal about. I need correct font and center spacing to be happy. I have had some great watches that I wouldn't wear because the date wheel sucked. I eventually got rid of most of them.

Even the movement seems great. I received the watch and set the time 18 hours ago and it has only gained a tad over 2 seconds!

I have only one negative comment about the Rolex design. The bracelet seems disproportionately small when compared to the watch. I think it tapers too much. It seems to me that a 20mm clasp would have been a better choice than 18mm given the bulk of the watch. I'm used to wearing a PAM 111 on a big, thick 24mm strap and a Breitling Skyland Avenger on stock rubber, so I like the big size of the DSSD, but just wish the bracelet was a little beefier. But that being said, even after only 18 hours, the total package is growing on me. I bought this thinking it would be my daily workhorse, and I still think it will be.

And dealing with BK is a true pleasure!

I'll try to post some pics over the weekend.

Nice! I still haven't decided which DSSD to go for but BKs version looks amazing. The fit of those endlinks seems perfect.

Yeah. There is virtually zero gap in the endlinks.

I know it's a tough call whether to go with Trevor's or BK's as they are both great pieces. One thing I find kind of amusing is that a couple of the flaws on both versions are the same flaw, just in the opposite direction. It looks to me like the bezel triangle on the gen is curved on top, but with a larger radius than the bezel (so it looks less curved than the bezel). The BK (noob) makes the radius about the same, if not slightly smaller as the bezel (making it look more curved than the bezel), while Trevor's makes it flat. The other thing I think where they are both wrong, but opposite is the hour markers outer ring. I think noob is too wide and Trevor is too narrow. Too bad we can't put each watch in a room together and wait for them to mate and create the perfect watch! :winkiss: I guess we all just have to pick which looks more correct to his/her eye.

I will say that there is one thing on my particular watch that I need to address, and that is the paint on the rehaut engraving is a little sloppy and needs to be cleaned up. I couldn't see it at first, but after looking at close up pics and through a loupe, I saw the "K" in "LOCK" and the "A" in "VALVE" need a little work. Now I just need to figure out how to take it apart.

Yeah. There is virtually zero gap in the endlinks.

I know it's a tough call whether to go with Trevor's or BK's as they are both great pieces. One thing I find kind of amusing is that a couple flaws on both are the same flaw, just in the opposite direction. It looks to me like the bezel triangle on the gen is curved on top, but with a larger radius than the bezel (so it looks less curved than the bezel). The BK (noob) makes the radius about the same, if mot slightly smaller as the bezel (making it look more curved than the bezel), while Trevor's makes it flat. The other thing I think where they are both wrong, but opposite is the hour markers outer ring. I think noob is too wide and Trevor is too narrow. Too bad we can't put each watch in a room together and wait for them to mate and create the perfect watch! :winkiss: I guess we all just have to pick which looks more correct to his/her eye.

I will say that there is one thing on my particular watch that I need to address, and that is the paint on the rehaut engraving is a little sloppy and needs to be cleaned up. I couldn't see it at first, but after looking at close up pics and through a loupe, I saw the "K" in "LOCK" and the "A" in "VALVE" need a little work. Now I just need to figure out how to take it apart.

I noticed the difference in triangles earlier today aswell. But with an endlink fit like that I think I am going to have to go with BK myself, a real dealbreaker for me!

I noticed the difference in triangles earlier today aswell. But with an endlink fit like that I think I am going to have to go with BK myself, a real dealbreaker for me!

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

One of my favorite things about BK's watches is the fact that you KNOW you will be getting a genuine ETA movement and that he has them regulated by a watchsmith in China (at least mine was). Mine is +4 sec/day.

I also want to say something about the steel color conversation that has been going around here. The steel on my BK noob DSSD is definitely lighter and brighter than the steel on my other sub replicas. Whether it is any different than the Trevor DSSD, I don't know. I may order a Trevor sub and do a comparison to answer the question once and for all. We'll see.

-Mike

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

One of my favorite things about BK's watches is the fact that you KNOW you will be getting a genuine ETA movement and that he has them regulated by a watchsmith in China (at least mine was). Mine is +4 sec/day.

I also want to say something about the steel color conversation that has been going around here. The steel on my BK noob DSSD is definitely lighter and brighter than the steel on my other sub replicas. Whether it is any different than the Trevor DSSD, I don't know. I may order a Trevor sub and do a comparison to answer the question once and for all. We'll see.

-Mike

Good to hear about the steel, I guess we all just want it as good as it gets.

Yeah...and the cool thing (at least I think it's cool) about the 2 current versions of this particular watch (Trevor's and latest noob)is that both watches have been purchased by several members that feel they made to correct choice! Most reps that have multiple versions have a clear winner when it comes to accuracy vs gen. This watch, not so much.

Congrats on a beautiful watch. You make very good points about the tiny things wrong with each popular version. Nice pics too!

Oh, this watch was wildly popular 18 months to a year ago, and there are How To articles regarding taking one apart. Look for posts by Gioarmani from early last year on this. He was the forum DSSD expert until he pretty much vanished.

Which dads does precioustime supply?

Bloody predictive text! I mean dssd! Not dads!

As far as I am aware, the trusted dealers here all have the Noobfactory dssd, except Trevor. I suspect that small "shopper" dealers like Watch International might be able to source the Trevor watch as well. Just be sure to confirm this via QC pics before you take delivery.

Great shots, I ordered mine last week and only just made my mind up to go for BK's and not Trevor's (both are good and make it difficult to buy one).

Can't wait for it to arrive after seeing these pic's.

Comparing BK's watch and the Trevor version is apples to oranges. BK sells a modded watch .. that's why it costs so much more money.

You can't really compare a piece from a modder with a piece straight from the factory.

Right. He's had to disassemble the watch to insert the datewheel. And in re-assembling the piece you can be assured he takes the utmost care, unlike normal rep factory workers. He's able to eyeball the movement since he has it out of the watch as well.

See where I'm going with this? What's this procedure commonly called? A datewheel mod. It's a modded watch with careful assembly by someone who gives a crap.