When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to mod the pearl on the noob DSSD and Sub-C

bklm1234

The pearls on the noobfactory DSSDs and Sub-Cs often have the glossy/shinny acrylic covering the metal rim, like this:

IMG_8307.jpg

Here's the mod I have tried:

- use the finest flat needle file you can find to file on the pearl, continue to file even you reach the metal rim to ensure there's no acrylic still attached to the rim. You now basically have a flattened, dull pearl, all the way to the rim.

- mix a generous amount (which lets you have excess so you don't have to pick up a drop with bubbles) of epoxy with more hardener than the usual 1:1 proposition. This ensures faster hardening and a solid hard epoxy drop. If not enough hardener, the drop may never harden and/or isn't hard enough. Also more hardener gives a whiter/shinnier surface

- use a fine pin and pick up a drop of epoxy, dip it to the center of the filed down pearl area. You really don't have to spread it. The epoxy drop will spread itself as you dip the drop in an up and down action. It knows to stop at the rim thanks to surface tension.

- you may have too much epoxy. Just wipe the pin, and remove excess epoxy by dipping the pin at the center of the drop, wipe off the pin, repeat till you have just the right amount and curvature.

- if you screw up, just wipe everything off before it all dries up and start over. It's very forgiving.

Result:

IMG_8335.jpg

IMG_8342.jpg

Have fun.

-bk

I did basically the same on mine (sorry no pics at present) but I did one additional step. After filing flat I used a drill bit a little smaller than the OD of the pearl rim and manually drilled the lume material down. Holding the bit like a pencil, center the bit in the pearl and twist it back and forth between thumb and finger). This creates a cavity in the pearl that contains the epoxy nicely and prevent overflow past the rim.