When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Professional's Opinions Requested

Drulee

So in my particular situation (rep PAMs only, all 6497 or 7750 based, with a couple of ST19 manual wind chronos thrown im), given I can cherry pick all the parts and service myself. Then applying that 'cherry picking' to cases, crowns, crown guards, and crystals. And assuming I properly install and grease all gaskets (caseback and crown). Just how much am I missing by not purchasing the gen of any of my reps, especially when some are priced as 'rare'? Don't forget that thre aren't many PAM enthusiasts in my circles.

I will admit that the E-G 6497 looks a lot better than any rep one, plates or directly engraved. But don't think that much of their H+ CotesDeGeneves engraved ones, especially after polishing up your bridges (sure the gen looks nicer, just not $1000+ nicer :whistling: )

Aesthetic vs. pedigree or the true "emotive" value of owning a gen...the finish, the "whatever".

Remember...no matter how much modding you do...a rep will always be a rep...even a super Franken rep will still be a rep in terms of "return on investment" of a gen in the open marketplace.

The issue is of VALUE. A gen will always be a gen...but is it worth it at what...25% premium over a top notch rep? 50%? 300%? Vintage Rollies with GEN movements, crystals, bracelets, dials, hands, datewheels, CASEBACK, and EVERYTHING but the case so functionally, aesthetically and operationally 100% genuine, but still with a rep case might cost $3000 - $5000 to build, but the gen may cost what, $150,000???

You keep trying to get someone to say that they are unequivocally the same (a handpicked and upgraded Asian vs. gen movement)...but they aren't really...because of what you noted, Cotes de Geneves, rhodium plating, engraving depth, etc...but is it good enough? I think so...so do many...which is why we have reps...and why we have rep buyers who upgrade to buying gens.

I was speaking somewhat tongue in cheek. Rep versus gen is a matter of budget, preference and which you get more pleasure from. And most folks swing back and forth over time based on changes in the above. :lol:

The one thing I do have to note is that a well built franken often holds value better than a standard non-rare gen because it is more unique and can appeal to a broader swath of the population (at least our population).

Aesthetic vs. pedigree or the true "emotive" value of owning a gen...the finish, the "whatever".

Remember...no matter how much modding you do...a rep will always be a rep...even a super Franken rep will still be a rep in terms of "return on investment" of a gen in the open marketplace.

The issue is of VALUE. A gen will always be a gen...but is it worth it at what...25% premium over a top notch rep? 50%? 300%? Vintage Rollies with GEN movements, crystals, bracelets, dials, hands, datewheels, CASEBACK, and EVERYTHING but the case so functionally, aesthetically and operationally 100% genuine, but still with a rep case might cost $3000 - $5000 to build, but the gen may cost what, $150,000???

You keep trying to get someone to say that they are unequivocally the same (a handpicked and upgraded Asian vs. gen movement)...but they aren't really...because of what you noted, Cotes de Geneves, rhodium plating, engraving depth, etc...but is it good enough? I think so...so do many...which is why we have reps...and why we have rep buyers who upgrade to buying gens.

You say 'a rep will always be a rep', which is obviously quite true, but I'm thinking more along the lines of 'a gen will always serve you better than a rep'. Which, in my case I don't think it will. I'm one of those members that went from gens to reps, didn't really know much about those gens before getting into reps, and know I'm more into watches only because the ones I wear have been built, even if only partially, by me :)I would never look at a watch an investment, and just can't justify spending that extra few thousand dollars for some very minor cosmetic gains (this is what I wanted to confirm to myself with this thread).

Of course if my taste started leaning towards watches with highly modified or custom in-house movements, that would be a different story :)