When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to prepare a very warm welcome to my new 5004?

brockelhorst

I'd like to prepare a very warm welcome to my new friend the Big Pilot 5004, who will hopefully arrive tomorrow!

What should i know about it, what should i do with her when i have unwrapped her, apart from drooling and dancing in a circle around her?

How long will it take until i don't like her anymore, because of her sunken datewheel?

Does the movement needs servicing?

Where can i find her new tights, without pampering her too much? Yes, i'm churlish, but i promise i will take her out for dinner sometime... :pardon:

I'm already all excited without even seeing or touching her... :Jumpy:

There are watch strap makers here in their own section of the Forums. Replica straps are always a little cheesey.

As for servicing: Wear it a month or two and if you then decide it's Love, have it serviced. No point in servicing a winder queen you'll sell down the road in 4 months.

Did you take off the plastic protection sticker?

Just kidding....

Yes you should complain about it.

It seems like a problem with the AR. Did it came from the a dealer like this?

The first models came with a problem like this but I thought it was solved.

Any way, you need a replacement crystal.

It does unfortunately look like spots on the AR. Sander would know if this is a problem with this model. Your dealer may be able to send you a new crystal, and you can take it to a watchsmith to do the swap...that would be pretty cheap...or do it yourself.

It's a nice watch...goes well with the props in the photo.

Yes it came that way. first i thought it was on the outside, but no, its on the inside.

I think i'll contact the dealer.

Did you take off the plastic protection sticker?

Just kidding....

Yes you should complain about it.

It seems like a problem with the AR. Did it came from the a dealer like this?

The first models came with a problem like this but I thought it was solved.

Any way, you need a replacement crystal.

Apart from the spots it does look good and the date wheel is not sunken to me, a bit of a downer when you have an issue with your first but then this is the world of reps, i would bring the issue up with the dealer.

If you realy like this watch then you could alway get chief AR in the future and get the PR hand set to 12, if you dont want to send it back.

I would say the date wheel is still slighty sunken, but that doesn't bother me (yet) :D

Another thing i have noticed is, while i unscrew or screw down the crown it feels as if it winds the movement.

Is this normal?

It depends on the movement. Some hack, some don't .. some don't disengage the winding mechanism while you secure the crown and some do. I know my Asian movement Ulysse Nardin doesn't hack or disengage the winding mech.

I would say the date wheel is still slighty sunken, but that doesn't bother me (yet) :D

Another thing i have noticed is, while i unscrew or screw down the crown it feels as if it winds the movement.

Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal. Enjoy this watch. Mine has gotten me laid quite a few times. Ladies love the Big Pilot!

So the dealer is pretty cool, offering to send me a new case set, or to swap the watch for a new one.

Now, i'd really like to avoid sending it back.

Usually i'm kind of habile and patient, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to do such thing without messing the watch up?

Would it be a very risky thing to do, for a first time?

What do you guys think, Yay or Nay?

In case of Nay, would it be very expensive to have it done by a watchsmith ?

Anyone knows a good one in the paris area?

All these question again, feels like it will never end :lol:

Swap should cost about $30-70 or so...depending on who does it. Shipping back will cost you about $18...I would take the case set.

To do the swap yourself will mean you need to get a few things like Rodico for removing fingerprints, blower for dust, and something to open the caseback (like duct tape balls, rubber gloves or an actual tool...your choice). You're not removing hands...so it's relatively low risk, but many have buggered their watches the first time they've removed the stem.

Stem removal is easy. Stem re-insertion is a bit trickier...something to consider. For your first watch I would try and find a little corner repair store...explore if they are rep friendly and would do a case swap of a chinese movement. If they are agreeable...try it out.

It's a low risk task for a watchsmith, as you aren't removing hands, working on the movement, etc...straight swap.

The repair stand might not want to work on reps...be prepared for that.

swap its pretty easy but like it was said you will need some tools or get someone to do it for you. I would get the case-set as well, that will avoid you the pain of sending it back, waiting for it to arrive there, plus waiting for new watch to come back...

If you cant find one in Paris, for sure Francisco and others in EU will be willing to do it for you.

I'm still trying to figure out if i'll send it back or get the replacement case set. So i'm looking to find out if there are other flaws on the watch.

It looks like the dates are not exactly centered, a bit off to the top. I have looked at lots of pics on the forum, but i can't tell if this is a common issue or not?

And there is a tiny black spot/notch on the long red line of the power reserve indicator (you can barely see it on the first pic).

Seems like i'm getting really anal... But hell, i love that watch! :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out if i'll send it back or get the replacement case set. So i'm looking to find out if there are other flaws on the watch.

It looks like the dates are not exactly centered, a bit off to the top. I have looked at lots of pics on the forum, but i can't tell if this is a common issue or not?

And there is a tiny black spot/notch on the long red line of the power reserve indicator (you can barely see it on the first pic).

Seems like i'm getting really anal... But hell, i love that watch! :lol:

about the date wheel i think it is normal, but you have to look very closely to notice that.

About the spot just check whether is a particle of dust or some misprinting. If it is dust its easily removed with a blower, from the picture i cant see it to comment on that.

@awesome these watches are pretty much coming from the same factory so there is no real difference between the dealers, just make sure then will do some QC before they ship so that you wont have problem like brockelhorst is having. You can ask for picture before they ship the watch for you.

In my opinion the faux power reserve is more accurate to gen than the working version.

it looks like a misprinting... small but no good ;(

funny thing is, my dealer actually promised me to quality check the watch before shipping. Looks like it hasn't been done. I don't even want to know about the promised waterproofing...

But anyways he seems to be a cool guy, so everything will be sorted out i think.

@ awesome you could always have a look at the modded ones from vacuum.

about the date wheel i think it is normal, but you have to look very closely to notice that.

About the spot just check whether is a particle of dust or some misprinting. If it is dust its easily removed with a blower, from the picture i cant see it to comment on that.

@awesome these watches are pretty much coming from the same factory so there is no real difference between the dealers, just make sure then will do some QC before they ship so that you wont have problem like brockelhorst is having. You can ask for picture before they ship the watch for you.

In my opinion the faux power reserve is more accurate to gen than the working version.