When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 6497 - Reliability

AlexM

Hi all, I have a question regarding the reliability of this movement.

Indeed, my watch is so beautiful I want to wear it everyday but the fact that's a asian movement inside worries me...

I wonder, are the Asian 6497 reliable? Can we wear the watch with Asian 6497 every day?

And I would like to know the frequency for servicing the watch?

We can find Swiss ETA 6497 for 100

Hi all, I have a question regarding the reliability of this movement.

Indeed, my watch is so beautiful I want to wear it everyday but the fact that's a asian movement inside worries me...

I wonder, are the Asian 6497 reliable? Can we wear the watch with Asian 6497 every day?

And I would like to know the frequency for servicing the watch?

We can find Swiss ETA 6497 for 100

Alex the asian unitas if propperly serviced is every bit as good as the swiss, the asian is also the higher beat at 21600 sam as pams as opposed to the 6497/1 that is 18800, unless you can get 6497/2 at around €100 and if so pleas lell me where

My only concern is the reliability which lies on the cliché that swiss movement are better than asian one.

Here and there I see topics poping up with reliability issues on asian movement.

But may be I'm wrong with this old belief!

Nevertheless, you raise a good point by talking about servicing. In your opinion, which frequency is appropriate for an Asian 6497?

Edited by AlexM

make sure to buy a new sealed ETA movement if you decide to make the change.

Many places describe watch with Swiss movement but there are no guarantees you won't have dry jewels or dirt in them.

From an engineering point of view the A6497 and the ETA one are basically the same. The only difference like wolf said is the service.

Service needs vary with condition. Many people say you should service your movement every 5 years. I think the most important thing for reliability is to have the movement serviced at least once (to make sure all the dirt is gone).

So basicaly, if you buy a swiss unless it comes sealed in an ETRA foil pack, or a watch smith you know has just serviced it it will need servicing anyway, just the same as the asian one coukld proberbly do with a service.

But on the bright side , i have known these movements to run for many years with out a service and with out problems.

I was wondering something about the Asian 6497, the movement is about 25$ so is it worth make it serviced (don't know exactly the price but not cheap i guess) or wait untill he died & buy again a 25$ movement ?

I will see how many months/years my 6497 work but i think i will choose the replacement solution :D

Please tell me where you are getting these prices from for asian 6497? I buy a lot of seagull ones from a german supplier and they are double that, admitedly the seagull 3600 is the best 6497 , and every one has arrived serviced i have seen and if i bought in larger bulk direct from China they would be cheeper but then i would not have the 2 year garentee i get by law from my german supplier and that is worth the extra.

but if you are seeing these at $25 please tell me where

No there are two main makers of the 6497 the Hang zou (or some sort of spelling like that) which this is

b_1242292747328011223.jpg

you can tell by the shock absorber and the anchor cock(under the balance) as you may nbe able to see it is only a cock instead of a bridge like the Unitas and the seagull, these are a decent movement and run well but not in the same quality bracket as the seagulls that cost a bit more and have better shock absorbers. The seagulls also have a better finish on the main plates where it is not decorated.

This is the seagull and you can see the 2 blued screws under the balance that hold the anchor bridge (a bridge is held at at least two points by screws and a cock is held by one)

04pdh5.jpg

The extra you would pay for a seagull is worth it!

I will see how it goes with this Asian movement, but I think I will in a near future swap the Asian movemen again a Swiss one. Im working in risk management, so I prefer to be proactive to avoid any problem.

When you read what happens with this Asian 7750 full of dirts of hairs and so on... It's the better decision to make.

Of course I'm not talking about Seagull movement but about the Asian we have in our reps out of the factory.

When you read what happens with this Asian 7750 full of dirts of hairs and so on...

Good point for sure, but like others have said, a good and proper service will make an A7750 a very reliable movement that will give you years of trouble free use. Same can be said about the A6497 vs an ETA one. Of course, another popular thing to do is to buy and ETA movement and swap out the Asian decorated bridges to maintain the "look" of the watch movement :D