When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nice quality IWC Portuguese Chronograph?

_jonte

Hi,

New to this specific forum, been around the "scene" for a little while though... Welcome to me! :whistling:

I've recently become obsessed with the wonderful IWC Portuguese Chronograph "black/black" watch. After reading around and searching the forum for a number of hours, I've realized that this particular model have a history of rather bad/unstable reps.

So I'm humbly asking if anyone here has any experience of any recent rep of this model and maybe offer some tips on where to get a good quality piece? :rolleyes:

The only seller I've found so far is this one: http://www.watcheden.com/iwc-portuguese-working-chronograph-number-markers-with-black-dial-leather-strap-i-53156-p-1.html

Might be good, but it's a cheapie!

All tips and help is warmly appreciated!

/Jonas

If you can afford the gen movement and case mods, the Concepta portos are FANTASTIC...and undeniably, THE BEST of these watches. PM Concepta...and look for these on this site...quite something...

I've seen those, absolutely stunning! To much money for me though... <_<

Any tips on the more affordable ones?

Hi,

New to this specific forum, been around the "scene" for a little while though... Welcome to me! :whistling:

I've recently become obsessed with the wonderful IWC Portuguese Chronograph "black/black" watch. After reading around and searching the forum for a number of hours, I've realized that this particular model have a history of rather bad/unstable reps.

So I'm humbly asking if anyone here has any experience of any recent rep of this model and maybe offer some tips on where to get a good quality piece? :rolleyes:

The only seller I've found so far is this one: http://www.watcheden.com/iwc-portuguese-working-chronograph-number-markers-with-black-dial-leather-strap-i-53156-p-1.html

Might be good, but it's a cheapie!

All tips and help is warmly appreciated!

/Jonas

As you seem to have discovered the automatic chrono rep is one of the most problematic watches discussed here. Beautiful and totally unreliable.

The one you have found is probably as good a quality as you will get. Quartz is very reliable.

If you like it, go for it. For the price you will certainly not risk much

As you seem to have discovered the automatic chrono rep is one of the most problematic watches discussed here. Beautiful and totally unreliable.

The one you have found is probably as good a quality as you will get. Quartz is very reliable.

If you like it, go for it. For the price you will certainly not risk much

I actually missed that this was a quartz watch. :(

Anyone got it? Is it good?

Guess that the original is not available in with quartz movement though...

Actually found the automatic too: http://www.watcheden.com/iwc-portuguese-chronograph-asia-valjoux-7750-movement-with-black-dial-i-15168-p-1.html

Is this the one to stay away from?

I actually missed that this was a quartz watch. :(

Anyone got it? Is it good?

Guess that the original is not available in with quartz movement though...

Actually found the automatic too: http://www.watcheden.com/iwc-portuguese-chronograph-asia-valjoux-7750-movement-with-black-dial-i-15168-p-1.html

Is this the one to stay away from?

The Gen does not come as a quartz. Also the quartzie has a different sub-dial placement and mineral crystal. I have never seen it in real life.

The automatic you found is the one which has issues. Be prepared that it could cost you a fortune. It is pretty though.....

Ubi's pictured in this thread is a Concepta modded one...beautiful.

Yeah...as said above, the running second hand dial in the 6-o-clock positions (aka running seconds at 6) has a modification done to the A7750 movement to move the running secs from 9 to 6-o-clock that involves adding around 13 gears with no jewelling which is like adding gears without bearings. This means all the extra work the movement has to do to power the extra gears results in decreased lifespan.

The one you have pictured in watcheden is the problematic movement. This applies to the Daytona models with the 6-o-clock seconds as well.

The cheaper alternative is to order one of these, and have Avitt do a DLC treatment on the mod plate. The DLC reduces friction...not sure of the cost...is not as good as a jewelled movement...but better. Some have said a graphite treatment on the movement has brought new life to theirs...others have said it doesn't last long.

The gen is only mechanical...hopefully this helps...sorry for the bad news...I want one of these too...but have stayed away because of this problem.

Thanks for the excellent and detailed information! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And sorry for spamming you with another link... ;)

http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_281&products_id=3118

This is from Mary's website. She's from RWG, don't know if she is here too(?).

This model has slightly better specs (I think). Also the 7750, but stated as "New Improved 29J Version"...

Any opinions about this watch from Mary?

Search for reviews on the new 29j movement...it's essentially the same movement...they just took away some metal on a couple gears to reduce contact area...not really an improvement...it's still a crapshoot.

Go to Francisco's section and look for his review of the movement. I think it was him that did it...

Search for reviews on the new 29j movement...it's essentially the same movement...they just took away some metal on a couple gears to reduce contact area...not really an improvement...it's still a crapshoot.

Go to Francisco's section and look for his review of the movement. I think it was him that did it...

I will, thanks for the tip!