When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RoleX rolsub0017 ultimate

Mattyy

$488 a pop at yourtrustytime. I bought my tag heuru 36rs calibre and i am well happy with that. Time for a rolex.

I have just joined this site, and been reading peoples views on some watches and the mods.

I am now confused. Do you guys buy these watches and mod them yourselves to make it more gen?

Isn't there watches available that are as gen as you can get without paying the crazy prices?

Just a bit confused and baffled that's all. Some advice or help please.

Matt - north London.

1stly, welcome Matt. Be prepared to do alot of reading (of previous RWG posts on the subject of your preference) before buying. At least, if you do, you will greatly reduce the amount of money you waste & increase the likelihood that you will be happy with your purchases (in the long term).

As to modding watches - some mod their own & others pay someone to do the work for them. It all depends on your experience/skill, financial state & emotional levels. There are 3 (main) axioms that bear memorizing in the watch collecting game -

1. Buy the seller before you buy the watch (or watch part).
  2. If you want it done right, do it yourself.
  3. The quality of the work is directly proportional to the investment of time, research & effort you put in before you begin.

Beyond that, do alot of research on gen sites for the watch you are interested in & then post your questions here.

Good luck &, to quote Otter, my advice is to start drinking heavily.

1stly, welcome Matt. Be prepared to do alot of reading (of previous RWG posts on the subject of your preference) before buying. At least, if you do, you will greatly reduce the amount of money you waste & increase the likelihood that you will be happy with your purchases (in the long term).

As to modding watches - some mod their own & others pay someone to do the work for them. It all depends on your experience/skill, financial state & emotional levels. There are 3 (main) axioms that bear memorizing in the watch collecting game -

1. Buy the seller before you buy the watch (or watch part).
  2. If you want it done right, do it yourself.
  3. The quality of the work is directly proportional to the investment of time, research & effort you put in before you begin.

Beyond that, do alot of research on gen sites for the watch you are interested in & then post your questions here.

Good advice freddy! Can't argue with Otter wisdom, but no Bluto quotes about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor? :D

Thats so funny, I laugh everytime I hear it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

BTW I wouldnt pay $488 for a Submariner unless its a Modded MBW or WM9 from BK or something. You can build a pretty good submariner for $500 if you can do the work yourself. I bet for $488 you are actually buying a watch thats $300 on another site plus "servicing and waterproofing" and whatever other bullcrap they are pushing.

I built a wicked and cheap vintage submainer last week that is making a great daily beater for me right now.

Puretime 1680 - $198

aftermarket t-19 (superdome) crystal - $20

Gen used Rolex 24-703 crown - $25-50

better quality MBW 93150 Clasp - maybe $50?

Total $318 in parts plus my own labour to...

Modded crown guards

shaved bezel insert and faded and vintagized

modded datewindow on dial and vintage markers and flat varnish

drilled lug holes

polished case and bracelet etc etc and its better than any watch you can buy from a dealer (except BK because he does most of the same mods on request)

Dont buy that watch for $488. At least spend the money on a good used one from the sales section. You'll get a much better watch for less money from someone here. Im sure you can find a used WM9 for that much. Its the best "out of the box" submariner on the market by far.

cheers

dizz

• 1 year later...