When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO franken - Ground up - Help req'd!

catboy

I had a upo which I loved, but the crown-tube stripped. I replaced this with a gen crown/tube and then a month or so later the movement died. I tried a repair but it was beyond help (or my help anyway)

I've not worn it since (obviously) but am starting to miss that beasty of a watch and thought about buying another. Then last night I thought, wouldn't it be better to spend the money on rebuilding what I have with cheif AR, a new movement and gen dial/hands?!

anyway, im a bit stuck re: movement.. I believe the 45.5 UPO had a 2836-2 movement but I dont know what height the drive components of the movement need to be (H4 maybe?). Also not sure whether there is a better movement I should go after which would be a relatively pain-free replacement (i don't really want to have to make custom movement holders, dial spacer rings, etc. to correct stem position and things)

Anyway, if anyones upgraded the movement in their UPO, or replaced and can give advice on hand wheel heights, datewheel mods, or anything else i should consider before i start collecting parts, i'd be really grateful..

b :)

No idea about movement height etc., but the movement in the UPO is an ETA-2824 not a 2836. If you're looking for one, you can find them new on EBAY for around 100 bucks. The Seagull ST21 is almost a direct replacement for the ETA-2824 and costs around 75 bucks. I'm no 100% sure but both movements should be a direct drop in for your watch no hand modification necessary. Hopefully someone else can chime in here and confirm that though. Good luck with the project! i'm also putting a franken upo together... I got alll the parts just need to get them put on the watch!

No idea about movement height etc., but the movement in the UPO is an ETA-2824 not a 2836. If you're looking for one, you can find them new on EBAY for around 100 bucks. The Seagull ST21 is almost a direct replacement for the ETA-2824 and costs around 75 bucks. I'm no 100% sure but both movements should be a direct drop in for your watch no hand modification necessary. Hopefully someone else can chime in here and confirm that though. Good luck with the project! i'm also putting a franken upo together... I got alll the parts just need to get them put on the watch!

You dont need to match the height on the new movement if you are replacing it. Your broken movement will supply that correct height gear!! You're looking at less than $120 shipped for the ETA movement and around $80 to swap it out at a reasonably priced watchsmith.

Who knows ... a watchsmith might see the problem with your original movement and simply fix it, saving you the $120 ... !!