When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Royal Oak

Satori

Hi everyone, I've just recently found out about you guys a week ago while looking for a suitable watch/replica for myself. This place is definately the best, extremely helpful. I've read quite a bit, and I've made my decision on a rep that I'd like to purchase. Just that I don't know who would hold the best model for it. The item of choice is the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, white dial, ss screws. (Beautiful watch, seems like it could go with any occasion. I've never even heard of this brand before I found RWG!) Anyway, I understand that the main thing to look out for is the thickness. I also have a small wrist, so I would like to get the 36mm as opposed to the Jumbo version. I've checked out a numerous amount of the dealers' sites here, but I just can't seem to put a finger on what is "best". And what is the range in price. Anyway, I'd appreciate it very much if you guys here can help me out. Thanks a lot!

Edited by Satori

..........The item of choice is the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, white dial, ss screws. (Beautiful watch, seems like it could go with any occasion. I've never even heard of this brand before I found RWG!) Anyway, I understand that the main thing to look out for is the thickness. ...............

As far as I know, thickness is not the only point.

APs have NO removable caseback like other watches. The Royal OAK is opened at the front.

But the reps are built like "normal" watches. (with removable caseback)

Regards

Sorry going off on a little tangent here.....

I wish i wish i wish that someone would come out with a good royal oak offshore rep!!!

I know that a new movt would have to be made (7750 is wrong) copying the FPJ movt thats in the original, but, god i would be SO SO SO SO SO happy if one day i came here and saw a decent rep of it!

They made a new movt for the daytona.

I know, i know.......the daytona is probably the most popular watch ever, 10x more than the AP.

Oh well, here's to dreaming............ :wallbash:

I too had been interested in this beautiful watch some months ago, and from my search the best model resulted that provided by Eddie Lee. Quite pricey (I seem to remember somewhat between 350 and 400 USD), but the only one that could sustain comparison with gen.

But Thomasng is undoubtly and by far the undisputed authority on APRO here. Sure you'd better hear from him.

The item of choice is the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, white dial, ss screws. (Beautiful watch, seems like it could go with any occasion. I've never even heard of this brand before I found RWG!)

Hey, welcome on board. It's nice to have another AP fan here - we are in short supply so you had better not desert us. I became an AP fan about 3 years ago and have followed the brand closely ever since. Hopefully most of the AP posts from the old board will make it across here, as there's a wealth of useful info that you should read.

APs have NO removable caseback like other watches. The Royal OAK is opened at the front.

But the reps are built like "normal" watches. (with removable caseback)

The genuine RO features a monocoque case design and, as you say, the caseback is not removeable. However to open the case still have to unscrew it from the back first, so in that sense it is opened from the back (I suspect we are saying the same thing though). Personally I don't mind that the rep is differently built, as I would much prefer them to perfect the aesthetics first...

Well, yeah, I want "the best" but I also dont want the Jumbo. That extra few mm makes a difference. So, what would you guys suggest?

If by "best" you mean accurate, then sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but with the current offering of 36mm RO reps you are not going to get the level of correct replication that you would get with the latest Panerai, Omega or Rolex reps. The best RO rep in my opinion is the (now out of production) Nick Faldo model that Ubi posted..... but even that has some major flaws. However, having scrutinised the genuine model for about an hour or so, I can say that the rep is still a fantastic watch. I will be putting mine in for mods soon and hope to post the results here when it's done.

As far as suggestions go, you may want to try and source a second hand Nick Faldo. Otherwise you're pretty much limited to the other 36mm model that Ubi posted, or perhaps the Fondation model that some dealers still sell.