When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I was sent a faulty strap by a dealer and am not sure if I should take it to a watchmaker of send it back?

Prsist

This is my first item that came broken. I bought an IWC rubber strap for my 3719 and the release valve doesn't release the catch allowing the pin to go all the way through. The dealer wants my to pay for shipping the watch back. I figure since it was sent to me faulty/broken the onus falls on him. Since it's my first time dealing with a dealer snaffu I'm looking to see what others have done in the same situation. Pay to send it back to CN or get the dealer to take the expense?

PS... The dealer is on of the big trusted dealers on RWG, PM if you care to know who it is.

If it's just the strap, i would send the strap back, not the watch. Why risk customs twice more? If it's a clasp problem, possibly he (the dealer) could send you a new clasp.

Get used to this problem. As has been discussed "ad nauseam" on this and other Rep forums, the reps have no quality control. The folks assembling the watches and accessories are for the most part low paid non technical workers. they are NOT Swiss watchmakers.

This Is just the way it Is with all dealers. I had the same problem with a panerai clasp. I took the clasp off the rubber strap and sent It to the dealer,three weeks later i had my new clasp.

Thanks gents, I just remembered i had a non-trusted dealer source me a Rolex Turn-O-Graph. 3 weeks later an hour marker fell off. I email the dealer and within the week he sent me a new dial on him, and didn't ask for anything back. I guess every dealer is different.

Thanks gents, I just remembered i had a non-trusted dealer source me a Rolex Turn-O-Graph. 3 weeks later an hour marker fell off. I email the dealer and within the week he sent me a new dial on him, and didn't ask for anything back. I guess every dealer is different.

He sent you a new TOG and didn't ask you to return the old one?

I've had both experiences. I've had dealers send parts out (Peter and Josh)...and I've also had to pay shipping back (Josh and Andrew). NOTE...same dealer had offered both solutions...depends on the situation.

If the watch is fine and the strap is buggered and you can remove it, ask the dealer if you can just send the strap back as the watch is fine, and get a replacement.