When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a memory from the 70'es

Major_Error

A far memory came into my mind... It is about a watch I saw back in the beginning of the 70'es.

My father and I were out looking on a secondhand cab. It was a white beetle cab.

We had a ride in the car, and I was sitting in the passenger seat. In the glove compartment i found this watch... I believe it was a Seiko, but other things captured my mind...

It did not have hands! This was the time before the digital “revolution”, or… in the verry beginning! The dial was blue, and a red square dot moved around the edge showing the seconds. The indicators for hours and minuttes were working similar to the "date and day functions" on the watches we know. Through two holes in the dial there was a square hole for the displaying “wheel” for minutes, and another square hole for the hours. I guess these holes were located at “three” on the dial. The rest of the dail I can remember as quite "unused space"

I remember wished that the owner had forgotten the watch, and we could receive it together with the car...

Can some of you remember a watch like this? What kind of thing was it?

By the way; my father did not buy the car...

• 6 months later...

I know that digging up old threads is usually frowned upon, but I think I can add to this discussioin.

The watch to which you refer is called a 'jump hour'. It's called that because the hour displayed in the window will snap (or 'jump') to the next hour at about three minutes till. They've been around since the 30's, but were most popular in the 50's, and again in the 70's. Although I say "most popular" that is to also say they have always been a rare bird. They seem to be making somewhat of a comeback now, although few modern "jump hour" watches are a true jump hour.

Stauer 'jump hour' watches are NOT a true jumping mechanism (I own the Dashtronic - the top pic in Jkay's post above). They simply replaced the hands with numbered disks.

My Andre Rivalle (E. Gluck) is a true jump hour. It comes from the mid-70's. It is a 17 jewel Swiss movement.

post-36985-0-04891400-1306576759.jpg