When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old news...

automatico

I thought I would repost this in case anyone needs the specs on a genuine 1655.

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/index.php?showtopic=26983

note:

I was 'Rick' on the old EZ Board RWCC, and 'Rick' (member # 43) on TRC until a server meltdown, then I changed my screen name to 'jimmythree'.

The W-674 was the 1655 offered by 'Paul' on his site in 2005/2006.

I am working on a genuine 1655 Steve McQ and thought I would compare it to an early W-674 model from Paul that I am also working on.

I weighed each one (tho) on a gram scale

tho = time head only, no bracelet

genuine 1655 tho 61g

W 674 tho 63.3g

Remarks:

The genuine watch has thinner lugs looking down at the watch, showing more center case to lug tip taper.

The crown guards are kinfe edged on the genuine watch and rounded on the replica.

The crown guards on the replica stick out a little bit too far from the crown.

The genuine watch case is 38.25mm wide measured from the underside across the 8 and 20 hour marks on the bezel.

W-474 is 38.85mm measured at the same position.

The bezel is a bit wider than the case on the genuine watch on the 9 o'clock side.

W-674 case is a bit wider than the bezel at the same position.

The bezel and case are even on the genuine watch at 4 and 8 on the bezel and the W-674 case is a bit wider than the bezel at the same locations.

The genuine watch is 26.25mm wide across the lugs at the center of the springbar holes measured from the underside.

W-674 is 27.25mm.

Genuine watch overall thickness is 13.4mm with a used crystal.

W-674 is 13.9 with a new generic replacement crystal.

Both have 6.0mm crowns.

Bezel OD on genuine is 37.95mm.

W-674 bezel OD is 37.4mm.

Centers of the springbar holes are 5.7mm from the mid case on the genuine watch.

W-674 springbar holes are centered 5.4mm from the mid case.

Genuine watch uses same springbars as a submariner.

W-674 has smaller holes in the case as delivered.

The casebacks are very similar in appearance and will interchange.

The 'O' ring gasket on the genuine watch has a larger cross section than the W-674.

The lettering inside the replica caseback makes it very easy to spot as a replica.

The dials are very similar and both have straight second hands.

The luminous material on the genuine dial does not stand up from the dial much more than the replica and the minute tracks etc are very similar.

The tritium on the genuine dial is just about DOA but the condition is still pretty good although it has yellowed quite a bit.

The genuine watch has a silver date wheel with black letters.

W-674 has a white date wheel with black letters.

Date magnification is close to the same.

The genuine watch has a lot of wear on it and my measurements will not be exactly the same as a new example.

W-674 is unworn.

All measurements were made with a Mitutoyo electronic digital caliper.

Comments...if the replica had the springbar holes drilled out, crown guards/case sides modified to match an original watch, genuine case tube and crown, genuine or generic crystal, and the case and crystal beat up same as a well used genuine watch...plus a slower beat movement (21600bph Eta 2846 maybe)...it would be hard to spot as a replica except under close inspection by a rolex nut familiar with the 1655.

Modifiy the case and carry the watch in your pocket with your change and pocket knife for a week or two and it will look just like a $10K vintage genuine McQ watch.

If you modify the case sides...the bevel on top of the lugs will probably be gone forever as it is extremely hard to duplicate. The genuine watch has this bevel worn away so it really does not matter on a beat up watch anyway.

Conclusion...save your $$, buy a you-know-what!

Thats a good detailed comparison. Do you have a pic of the old Rep watch? I wonder how it compares to the gen. A lot of the case lugs on older watches have been polished over and over again and have gotten thinner over the years.

"Do you have a pic of the old Rep watch? I wonder how it compares to the gen. A lot of the case lugs on older watches have been polished over and over again and have gotten thinner over the years."

No pictures of either watch, the genuine watch had never been polished but had been worn for 10 or 15 years. It was a one owner watch, the guy bought it new in the early 1970's for $300 or so.

Iirc, they looked pretty much alike on the wrist and I doubt anyone but a 1655 expert would be able to tell the replica was not genuine while someone was wearing it. The dial looked pretty good too.

Later, I put a 2846 in the replica along with a new generic 127 crystal that I lowered a little by sanding it down. A 116 would not work because the bezel ID was too big. I posted about the trouble I had with the 24 hour hand drive a couple years ago on RWG. The intermediate wheel that drives the 24 hour wheel had problems and the hands were too close together. I fixed the intermediate wheel but never installed a taller canon pinion and hour wheel.

I traded it even for an 18k Gubelin automatic in May 2009.

Nice

Chiman is going a build of a 1675 from a 1655 watch. I am planning the same thing after i finsh my gen Datejust build and my 'triple six' sea-dweller. I'll get the one from the Cartel (unless someone else offers the same model?) and swap in a gen 1675 dial and bezel assembly. It should be pretty darn close after some mods. The only thing is the difference in crown size, but im not to worried about it. Im not a fan of the explorer II, BUT the case does hold potential for a nice 1675 since there is really nothing good available without going the big money route on a case from Phong and a gen cal. movmt. I see the prices of the 1655's are coming down lately. You can get them for around $11k on ebay now.

dizz