When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is it about rep DDs & DJs - they just don't come close to the gen?

rek001

Hi all, At lunchtime today I walked into a jewellers, they had a fairly good selection of Rolex, quite a few DateJusts and DayDates.

I tried on a few of the standard mens DJs and DDs and was quite struck by how great they looked on the wrist - they were surprisisngly substantial and had terrific wrist presence. They seemed to sit a bit higher off the wrist than the rep.

I have a two year old rep ETA DateJust, top quality which I bought from a trusted dealer, and it definately seems smaller, doesn't sit as high on the wrist as the gen. It has kind of blah wrist presence.

Has Rolex slightly increased the size of the standard mens DateJust, and the reps haven't caught up? Or are the currently available DJs & DDs a bit too small and thin?

jmb, I was not aware of a new DateJust II at 38mm? Whose dealer's website may I see this please?

By-tor, I was thinking of RobbieG's long-ago remarkable review of his gen when I composed this post...

I would imagine all the "big-boyz" would have it... I mis-stated the size, got Jumbo Tudor on the brain! The DJ II is about 41mm, at least the ones on watcheden/idolreplicas sites state 41mm. I'm not that wild about 'em, if I want to wear a 40mm watch I'll put on a Sub...

jmb, for a minute you had me all excited, I thought the big boys had come out with a DJ/DD that felt a lot more like what I experienced at the jewellers yesterday.

I know the DJ/DD II is 41mm, and quite frankly, I don't care for it.

The case and bezel seems bloated, the bracelet seems too narrow for the watch head, I don't care for the proportions at all.

I'm going to drop in at Tourneau soon, have them measure the case size minus the crown, also the thickness. Somehow I just bet that it's bigger than 36mm.

I'll report back what I find out.

The gen Datejust cases I've messed with have been 36mm. The Tudor "Jumbo" is 38mm and there definitely is a difference in feel. Maybe you'll need to switch to Tudor! ;)

New Bezel 1.JPG

I guess the gens are 36mm w/o crown but they do seem to wear a bit bigger than that, dunno why.

Your Tudor is very sharp, I will mos def consider it, thanks!