When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how big a deal is movement height

highoeyazmuhudee

I was looking at swapping in a slow beat eta where a 2836 once was.

i know a compatible movement would be the 2846 with the same ligne and dimension and height at 5.2mm. but ive also found some slow beats with decoration that have the same dimension and ligne but the height was 5.5mm a .3mm difference. would this minuscule difference cause problems? i know a 2824 wouldnt lineup right with the tube and crown but the difference is .6mm twice the amount... any thoughts or experience?

My guess (and it is a guess) is don't do it. Even if there is enough height in the crown tube hole for either movement to slide that stem in you probably cannot match up gaskets to get a proper seal against the crown tube. But people who have tried it should jump in.

Agreed, even if the tube has extra room, gaskets, and once you "screw down", it will be tweekie.

Edit: However, if it is a non-date movement, with high enough cannon, you might be able to make up the difference with dial spacing. (5512, 5513, 5517).

thanks for the replies. im seeing someone else had success with a 2879 instead of a 2846 in an MBK

im finding a 2842 is also a good candidate for these slow beats. but its very eco grade the 284X family, my concern is regulating issues and ive even read the pallets are made out of plastic on the swatch 2846,42 movements. since the movements were intended for swatch consumers who would never get them serviced since the initial purchase price was low. they were basically created to run problem free for ten years then disposed of. maybe The Zigmeister could mention whether this is true of the 284X family having the plastic pallets instead of oiled jewels. :huh: